A Couple of questions for you Techy Folk ref Radioguys Units by carlpenn

carlpenn
I have fitted the basic setup of Seans DD Unit and am quite happy with it.

This weekend, I am hoping to fit the remainder of the Unit in the Tourer. Mostly TV / Sat Nav cabling.

Has anyone kept the Standard "Upright" Aerial that came with the Unit for the TV or have you changed, if changed what did you use?

Where is the best place to locate the Magnetic receiver for the Sat Nav in the Car?

There are two little Sticker things, silver in colour, what are they for? I assume the "3M" Sticky pad is for sticking the Sat Nav base to the Car?

There is also a Filter and Fuse Box enlcosed with a Red and Black (Live and Earth) cable into the Box and a Black cable with a Jack Plug on the end. What is this for?

Another cable I have has a DIN Pin plug on one end and a flat socket end similar to that of a Sata socket?

Any help greatly appreciated :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 31 May 2012, 21:01 #1 

Duncan
I can only comment on the Nav antenna. The absolute best place is on the top of the roof, but clearly this would look rubbish. It needs a good 'view' of the sky. On a saloon you can use the rear parcel shelf as the view up through the rear window is OK. The tourer doesn't have this as the rear glass is all very upright. So about the only place is on the top of the dash. Somewhere near the solar sensor at the front in the centre probably best. The further back you put it, the more the front edge of the roof cuts off it's view of the sky.

Alternatively, get the OEM sharksfin, on the roof.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 07:07 #2 

Bernard
Some users, including me, have attached the magnetic base of the sat-nav aerial to the hefty steel round section cross-member under the dash. I was very dubious about this location but I never have a problem and there is no need to hide the cable.

I use an active aerial for the TV, mounted at the top of the windscreen on the passenger side. Wiring runs up the 'A' pillar.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 07:19 #3 

Trebor
the upright aerials are not much use. I have one of this type which is fitted to the rear screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANT29db-2-1-C ... 227wt_1110

My sat nav aerial also sits on the rear parcel shelf
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 15:07 #4 

carlpenn
Thanks Chaps.

Trebor, I shall be buying one of those aerials. I asked for an Mpeg 4 TV Kit but I think I got teh Mpeg 2 one as it is the small Gold Coloured Box and not the Black one? I will be email ing to clarify with Sean today.

I haven' fitted the TV Kit yet, I am too scared to mess with wiring!! (Electrics are not my strong point)

The Sat Nav is up and running and thanks to Bernard, the Magnetic Base is stuck to the Cross MEmber behind Dash and is fully functional :D
Upgrades:

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 16:40 #5 

RadioGuy
(Trader)
Hi Carl

So happy that all is up and ruunning.
I have not heard from You about the DVB , Our conversations explained that MPEG-2 Was what you needed and I sent the DVB with the head unit , I Cannot find any indications of Mpeg-4 other than me advising you that Mpeg-2 was what was needed, Lets get this cleared up ! If the MPEG-2 unit is new and unused I Could use it and I have a consolidation order leaving that I Can get the MPEG-4 unit on .

Cheers

Sean

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 10:36 #6 

carlpenn
RadioGuy wrote:Hi Carl

So happy that all is up and ruunning.
I have not heard from You about the DVB , Our conversations explained that MPEG-2 Was what you needed and I sent the DVB with the head unit , I Cannot find any indications of Mpeg-4 other than me advising you that Mpeg-2 was what was needed, Lets get this cleared up ! If the MPEG-2 unit is new and unused I Could use it and I have a consolidation order leaving that I Can get the MPEG-4 unit on .

Cheers

Sean

Apologies Sean, I thought I had asked for it, but checked through the Mountain of Emails we sent and realised I got my 2 and 4 mixed up, I thought 2 was the Black Box lol, dont ask why !! - The above was not meant to be a negative comment towards you or your service ;) In fact I have praised you in PM to members on the other forum for your exemplary service throughout my Purchase etc.

P.S I have to say as well, the unit is freaking brilliant now that I have Sat Nav up and running too, I am very, very impressed and happy with it - Haven't been posting much this week as I have been busy with other stuff so sorry for delay :)
Upgrades:

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:21 #7 

nick nick
carlpenn wrote:Thanks Chaps.

Trebor, I shall be buying one of those aerials. I asked for an Mpeg 4 TV Kit but I think I got teh Mpeg 2 one as it is the small Gold Coloured Box and not the Black one? I will be email ing to clarify with Sean today.

I haven' fitted the TV Kit yet, I am too scared to mess with wiring!! (Electrics are not my strong point)

The Sat Nav is up and running and thanks to Bernard, the Magnetic Base is stuck to the Cross MEmber behind Dash and is fully functional :D

Does the Mpeg 4 antenna fix to the rear screen.....Trebor have you any pics
LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES....BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE PRICKS

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 08:27 #8