The Four Ashes Rides again ! by Trebor

Trebor
Sign on the door says Ashes is reopening on 15 Feb, as soon as I can make contact with the new tenant will find out about our meets

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 10 Feb 2020, 20:11 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good news Rob
Hope they are as accommodating as others have been. :)

Posted 10 Feb 2020, 20:33 #2 

Jürgen
Let's hope the new tenant will be able to make a living from the pub and therefore stay for longer than all the previous ones.
Jürgen

75ZT Community & Midlands Nano Meets & 75 & ZT Enthusiasts

Posted 10 Feb 2020, 22:13 #3 

MrDoodles
The only way that a pub can now survive, is to employ a Chef and to have a decent Restaurant, as the days of making a profit from what's known as "Vertical sales", are now long gone! ;) :cry:

Free vehicle valuations available to Club Members by PM!

Posted 11 Feb 2020, 17:39 #4 

Trebor
The problem with the Ashes is that it has had so many tenants in recent years, I can think of at least 9, some have tried real hard others not so but in my opinion the punters have gone elsewhere and it will take more than a 6 month stint from most of the new tenants to make it work, the pub owners also want £10k up front as its a tenancy and rent of almost £18k per year, so add to that staff wages, business rates, utilities, cleaners, purchases of beer and other drinks and it must be extremely difficult to make a go of it which is a shame because it is a nice pub with lots of land around it which could be used. We have had tenants who thought that the chap who cuts the grass can also double up as a " chef" was a good idea to those who had grand ideas of some sort of gourmet food and charged £15 for a burger about as big as a ten pence piece and all have failed so far, the last tenant has run another very successful pub a few miles done the road for a number of years it is local to me and the car park is never empty, he provided decent food at a decent price, but he too has failed after trying it for around 11 months, he even closed it before Xmas when you would think that would be a time he would at least make a profit over the festive period. I fear for the place in the long run as the owners are a large company who also have a property portfolio and some pubs have been converted to Co-op stores, we can only hope as we were told once that it is a listed building on greenbelt, otherwise sold to a developer there would soon be lots of houses on there, I have got to the stage where i just hope we get through the 2020 meets before there is another change, and then the cycle starts all over again and I can go cap in hand to the next tenant just as I have with all the others. Long live the Nanos !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 11 Feb 2020, 21:04 #5 

Bermudan 75
Excellent news Rob, and thank you for all your efforts in keeping the Nano meets going.

Posted 12 Feb 2020, 00:03 #6 

Trebor
Ok just seen the new tenant at the Four Ashes, Damon, who is happy for us to continue with the Nano meets without any changes to our existing arrangements. He was not aware of our meets and I said I would drop the 2020 dates in over the next few days.

The reopening is now delayed though and earliest will now be Tuesday 25 Feb so watch this space for the exact date when I know it.

In the meantime the 1st Social evening meet set for Tuesday 18 Feb is cancelled until the Ashes reopens.

Damon is medium height and I would say in his mid to late 30s, he has a lot of experience in the pub trade at Telford but doesn't have any other pubs at the moment so can hopefully concentrate on making the Ashes viable again

:cheers: :lol: :) :D
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 13 Feb 2020, 16:37 #7