More DVLA aggravation. by Bernard

Bernard
I recently bought another car. As it is in the top band for road tax, I decided to register it in my name but keep it on SORN until 1st June because I was in Europe for most of May. Meanwhile, I transferred a private plate successfully to it without problem on line. Today I called the insurance company to transfer one of my policies to the 'new' car. No problems whatsoever, starting at 00.01 hrs.

So, all that needs to be done is the simple matter of taxing the 'new' car starting tomorrow 1st June. Right?
Wrong!!

Can't do it on line. It tells me to go to Post Office.
I had a feeling that this was going to be a waste of time and effort (no local PO now where I live). And I was right. System rejected the application. Friendly Post Master, who had struggled with the system to no avail, suggested 'phoning the DVLA and raised his eyes to heaven.

I have lost count of the time and the different numbers called to eventually get through to a) someone real b) someone intelligent -I gave up with c) someone cooperative.
It transpires that I have to go through the telephone purgatory again tomorrow as they cannot start a road tax for the 1st June on the 31st may. She could backdate it but I would have to pay the full month previous to when I want it on the road.
"What about if I want to catch a cross channel ferry at 8.00 am tomorrow?"
"Then you will have to pay from the 1st May" was the answer.
I didn't think to ask her about what happens If there is an emergency in the small hours.
No wonder that I need pills for high blood pressure. :hissyfit:

Posted 31 May 2016, 18:02 #1 

Trebor
Never mind the beaurocracy and red tape, what's the car ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 31 May 2016, 19:08 #2 

Bernard
It's red and has Rover in the name, a 3.2 Volvo 6 cylinder engine and runs on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas).

Posted 31 May 2016, 20:46 #3 

Trebor
Haven't seen many red ones about ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 01 Jun 2016, 07:24 #4 

Bernard
It is even more rare being a petrol engine.

fl2 front1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 01 Jun 2016, 08:32 #5 

Trebor
looks very nice Bernard and LPG saves you a job !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 01 Jun 2016, 09:24 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Bernard.
Nice I like the FL 2 good colour to, will it be making a an appearance at the nano 11th or 12th just changed the rear diff mounts on mine to poly flex.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Jun 2016, 23:48 #7 

Bernard
I might give it an outing on one of the days, plenty of room for tools....or junk. ;)

Posted 03 Jun 2016, 05:40 #8 

Colvert
Very nice looking motor Bernard.

If you were driving it over here where I am-----------there's NO road tax !!!!

OH, and a two year MOT.

Posted 04 Jun 2016, 21:21 #9 

Bernard
Don't rub it in, I sometimes wonder why I came back from France all those years ago......Oh yes, I remember, I was living in Paris.

Posted 04 Jun 2016, 21:56 #10 

PaulT
Yes, no road tax but the tolls on the Autoroutes can certainly add up.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 05 Jun 2016, 09:29 #11 

Bernard
It was the Paris traffic that did for me. I never knew what time I was going to get home.
But you're right about the tolls, my Sanef tag invoice was £111.22 last October for the journey from Perpignan to Lille.

Posted 05 Jun 2016, 10:38 #12 

Borg Warner
Think we'll see him on LandyZone Steve?

Gary M.

Posted 07 Jun 2016, 07:42 #13 

PaulT
Colvert wrote:OH, and a two year MOT.

Yes, they were talking about introducing that in the UK but no doubt the garage industry lobbied hard. However, with the number of cars that fail annually perhaps not such a good idea. In the classic car world cars built before 1960 no longer require an MOT test but I understand that many owners still submit them for test just to be sure that they are roadworthy.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jun 2016, 08:48 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
Borg Warner wrote:Think we'll see him on LandyZone Steve?

Gary M.

Hi Gary.
We could well do one of the better Landrover sites out there, even so takes some getting used to, some characters and big personalities on there. :lol: and lots of swearing
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Jun 2016, 08:57 #15