Cleaning Diesel Inlet Manifold. by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
Hi folks,

What have people found to be the best method/cleaning agent to clean the inside of a diesel inlet manifold?

The use of a dishwasher will be grounds for instant divorce....

Cheers

Mike

Posted 15 Apr 2018, 14:22 #1 

humphshumphs
Bermudan 75 wrote:The use of a dishwasher will be grounds for instant divorce....

Doesn't actually work either lol..... I've tried it on a spare manifold and still full of crud after going though twice, so gave up :)
Richard

Posted 15 Apr 2018, 20:36 #2 

Trebor
try carb cleaner Mike or pm Arctic he has cleaned quite a few
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Apr 2018, 21:36 #3 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Rob, it actually isn't to badly clogged up. Have it soaking in petrol which worked with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) valve, however more stubborn deposits were removed with WD40.

It will then be power washed.

I have got quite a few jobs to do on the car before it reappears at a Nano.
Replacement headlining needs finishing.
Replacement door cards. Drivers door actuator needs replacing together with the fuel flap release actuator. Offside door handles to be replaced as the originals are pitted.
PPD seats to be fitted.
De-lined IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) to be fitted.
Chrome luggage area lashing points.
Under the bonnet a new aircon condensor and heater matrix are to be fitted. Auto gearbox cover to be reseated, has had a small leak since I changed a solenoid.
160 remap.
Door trims have been powder coated with the other window trims.
Wheels to be refurbed and finally partial respray.

The plan is to have this all done in time for the car's 10th anniversary of being first registered.

Should keep me busy.

Mike

Posted 19 Apr 2018, 15:18 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Oven cleaner, power grease remover, soak for at least 3-4 hours then power wash them out, remembering to remove the MAP sensor, which also needs cleaning with a rag with some carb cleaner sprayed onto it, do not poke anything in to the intake hole on the MAP sensor.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Apr 2018, 10:34 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
I have yesterday started to clean four manifolds, these will be available at our last nano meet, there must lots of owners running around with clogged up manifolds stopping the engine from breathing proper.

All have differing amounts of gunk in them some that just trickles out when scrapped off the internal ports,Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

A lot of owner add bypass EGR thinking that will help, but in fact all it is doing is hiding the trouble in the manifold that as already occurred, and needs dealing with for the engine to breath properly.

Image6

Image7

Image8

It took me 5 hours to scrape out all the gunk from these manifolds, even then there is still quite a bit that is hard to reach which the oven cleaner soaking over night will loosen, ready for the jet washing of the manifolds.

Some of the tools i use and always wear thick rubber gloves this muck get everywhere, it will ruin your clothes if you get it on them.
Image9

Image10

Jet washing to take place though out today which will most likely take another 5-6hrs

Jet washing took place though out Saturday which took another 5-6hrs.

Image11

Image12

Image13

Ready to have the clean EGR and MAP sensors fitted, some will have an original gutted EGR others just the EGR not touched.
Image14

Image15

First one sorted ready to befitted on a local car at the Nano in Oct 3rd
Image16

All four re-built and also ready for the meet.
Image17

Image18

I must say i was pleased with the out come ;)
Image19

If you are going to the Nano meet and would like a swap out of your manifold EGR, MAP sensor then drop me a PM Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Sep 2021, 09:11 #6 

MrDoodles
Fantastic work (as always) Steve! :thumbsup:

Just glad that I have a V6 and the inlet (and ports) are spotless! ;) :lol:

Posted 04 Oct 2021, 17:00 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Nice clean new batch have been done for the 2023 meets, if you are interested in one as a exchange along with clean EGR & MAP then drop me a PM cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 May 2023, 09:10 #8