Diesel inlet manifold by raistlin

raistlin
Can anybody tell me what is involved in removing the inlet manifold please and also what is the best way of cleaning the inside?

Thank you :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 09:12 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi Paul,

You have incoming email

Cheers

Mike

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 09:53 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Mike,

I appreciate that :)

I was rather hoping for experiences from those who have done the job as well.
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 10:03 #3 

humphshumphs
I seem to remember when I took one off a motor I was breaking, it was just a case of taking the cover off the engine, undo the 4 nuts/bolts holding the egr valve on, then undo the handful of nuts and bolts holding the actual inlet manifold on.

I tried using a wash tank at work to soak the manifold in... didn't work brilliantly. Have heard of others using carb cleaner (but haven't tried it yet).

Hope this helps a bit. :-?
Richard

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 18:06 #4 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

I'm wondering if it is worth doing. What are the benefits?
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 18:08 #5 

JakeWilson
Have had a couple of diesels where the inlet manifold has been chock solid with oily carbon crap! We used some engine degrease and some narrow paint brushes to clean them out. :-)

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 18:48 #6 

raistlin
Thanks Jake. BTW, did you get my PM on Enthusiasts forum?
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 18:59 #7 

raistlin
Hmm... inlet manifolds are only about £15 on fleabay.

I wonder if it is worth buying one and cleaning it thoroughly without the time pressure of having VeeKay off the road?

Does anybody know if there are likely to be problems with a replacement manifold please? They seem like a simple moulding which has a limited scope for faults but I'd appreciate advice please :)
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 19:03 #8 

JakeWilson
Hey Paul,

Apologies, I thought I had replied but see it got stuck in drafts, will reply to that separately!

Technically speaking you should replace the rubber gaskets on the inlet manifold when removing and refitting, but personally haven't done so and not had any detrimental effects to date (touch wood)

Posted 30 Jul 2013, 22:36 #9 

raistlin
Cheers Jake, I'll salvage the old ones :)

Still haven't had a message from you on Enthusiasts' site though
Paul

Posted 31 Jul 2013, 16:26 #10 

JakeWilson
Sorry Paul, only just got home, will sort now.

Posted 31 Jul 2013, 18:14 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Paul.
Its all been done before you just need to look closer to home i have cleaned out the two i have yesterday and today 30 min job and you can use the old rubber gaskests no problem i also have spares of those incase one did tear or was perished but have not seen one yet and have replaced at least 15 of these now. ;) Arctic

changing-manifold-egr-t4955.html

Ready for fitting
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Aug 2013, 21:41 #12 

Last edited by Arctic on 14 Jun 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
OK,

With a big thanks to Steve, VeeKay now has a pristine inlet manifold... and the egr bypass pipe, which has been on the car for three years, had no contamination at all :)

One thing though, which puzzled both Steve and myself:-

The pipe with the corrugations which carries the exhaust gasses, was connected to the bypass stub by a jubilee clip and clamp assembly BUT, the exhaust pipe was only connected to that by a loose fitting collar which is held in place under tension from the corrugated pipe once everything is bolted together.

Can anybody shed any light on this please? Both Steve and I were of the opinion that the corrugated pipe flange should have been gripped more securely.

Would this somewhat less than air-tight joint cause a problem?

Also, Steve noted that it was the first time he had seen the corrugated pipe as a short assembly with a clamp at the other end as well.

What are your experiences of these things please?
Paul

Posted 03 Aug 2013, 11:40 #13 

DaveyC
Only thing I would add to the excellent cleaning job shown above is the use of a brush that are used to clean babies bottles. Used this on a few VW's I have done with degrease and they came up like new. Brushes are cheap from Tesco's and the like.... :-)

Posted 11 Aug 2013, 10:52 #14