Cleaning the inlet manifold by MrB

MrB
Yet another eBay purchase.

As I have a Synergy 2 on the way, thought I should get a matching EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) bypass, went for this one View eBay item 270598408202

I know there are cheaper alternatives, but I have also heard they can be a bit and miss regarding the quality of the welds etc.

I have seen what a mess the inlet manifold can be in, especially if the EGR has never been off and cleaned.

So what is the best method? I understand it is plastic? Was considering carb cleaner etc but am not sure what that will do to plastic?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Must stop buying things and start fitting the things I already have :rolling: :oops:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 00:19 #1 

DeuxGazoles
Petrol & a bottle brush ;)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 09:45 #2 

jonjon77
l cleaned what l could get to on my inlet when l took it off to clean the boost sensor.it wasnt as bad as l was expecting,it was more soot than the gunk l found on the egr.just make sure you block the inlet holes on the engine,l didnt and nearly dropped a socket down one of them.you made the right choice getting that egr bypass.l think l will upgrade to that one soon because l got the cheap one and you get what you pay for.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 20:45 #3 

MrB
jonjon77 wrote:l cleaned what l could get to on my inlet when l took it off to clean the boost sensor.it wasnt as bad as l was expecting,it was more soot than the gunk l found on the egr.just make sure you block the inlet holes on the engine,l didnt and nearly dropped a socket down one of them.you made the right choice getting that egr bypass.l think l will upgrade to that one soon because l got the cheap one and you get what you pay for.

Jon

After the conversation we had last week I figured I'd rather pay £20 extra for an over engineered one than take the risk on whether I end up with one of the other guy's made this one just before I had to run off to meet my mates down the pub.

Been watching a few before I got this one, seems daft but wasn't prepared to pay the Buy It Now price :gmc:

Couldn't believe it when one of them I was watching got bid to well above the Buy It Now :confused:

My Synergy arrived today, but I think I'll wait til I'm actually using the 75 regularly before I fit it and the bypass.

Also Russ still has a little detective work to do with his T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System). Have won a Mark 3 Sat Nav Computer on eBay as well today. Hopefully that will mean full diagnostics will be up and running without Russ having to go through each menu one at a time.

Do feel like I am starting to get somewhere now. Can't wait to be driving it every day though.

Currently in transit I have a Kenlowe Fan Kit and Viton rings from Jules, Undertray and lots of other bits of trim from rlszt260se on here, the EGR bypass and the SatNav drive. Plus all the bits I got from you, it is quite a job list I am starting to put together.

Good job 6 week holidays are nearly here. Though I really want him to be my daily driver well before then.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 20:54 #4 

jonjon77
the only reason l got the cheap one was so l could rule the egr out.l really wish ld got the one you ordered it looks a hell of a lot better.it will be a differant car when you put both of them on and go for a drive and give you a big grin :D

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 21:08 #5 

MrB
jonjon77 wrote:the only reason l got the cheap one was so l could rule the egr out.l really wish ld got the one you ordered it looks a hell of a lot better.it will be a differant car when you put both of them on and go for a drive and give you a big grin :D

Gives me a grin every day as I drive up our road and see it parked on the drive.

Can't wait to be driving it every day.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 23:43 #6