Windows 10 Upgrade by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
Has anybody installed the Windows 10 upgrade yet please?

I seem to have developed a folder called $Windows.~BT of some 5GB in size with what appears to be a Windows installation inside but I've had no instructions to run the setup.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 11:31 #1 

Bernard
I have that folder, created 28-07-15 with 14 items in it.
It seems that instructions to run the set up will be rolled out gradually so as not to overload the whole web.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 11:44 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Bernard. I'll leave it alone then.

I have a total of 6 PCs in the same state.

Curiously, it appears that the whole of the USA have already been upgraded. Isn't that odd? :lol:
Paul

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 12:22 #3 

Bernard
I'm in no hurry to do it, let everyone else find the bugs first.

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 14:03 #4 

raistlin
That's why I'm only going to do so on PCs of lesser importance :lol:
Paul

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 14:06 #5 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:I seem to have developed a folder called $Windows.~BT

That's a temporary folder for the download of the new OS. When it will have finished downloading, you'll get a notice to install the update. After that, you have 30 days to return to your old OS, if you don't like the new one.

Posted 30 Jul 2015, 21:02 #6 

PaulT
Now my file has only 140MB - but my Internet speed is far far worse than dial up.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 31 Jul 2015, 06:41 #7 

PaulT
Just had this from a friend:

'Just playing with Windows 10 as it became available for download yesterday. Impossible to play music or video in the included software but the stuff I normally use works fine and the rest seems to have been a seamless upgrade. Anything better than Windows 8.'
Paul

Posted 31 Jul 2015, 10:55 #8 

raistlin
Installs very quickly. Seems to have everything I want working "out of the box"

Time will tell.
Paul

Posted 31 Jul 2015, 19:35 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
we have had this waiting on our desktops for the last month, located in the bottom bar we have both decided to wait as I am sure there will be bugs etc that need ironing out, as above what Paul as says we will only do our spare PC if and when we do upgrade for now I am sticking with windows 7 Gail as 8.1 and she likes it I could not get on with it.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2015, 23:55 #10 

woolleysox
I have windows 7 on my desk top and windows 8 on my work laptop. i like windows 7 much better and like others will let the bugs get sorted before changing yet again.

Rob
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 01 Aug 2015, 00:10 #11 

PaulT
What do you mean 'let the bugs get sorted'.

MS has just stopped supporting XP which means no more bug fixes or in other words XP after all these years still has bugs so what chance W10 having the bugs sorted quickly :)
Paul

Posted 01 Aug 2015, 09:34 #12 

Dave
Well, Gill made the move on her 4-5 month old Windows 8 laptop this morning, and apparently it went without a hitch and she's chuffed to have the Start Menu back! She hasn't spotted much else yet....

I'm still on Vista, and much as I preferred XP :) and would probably be better off with W7, I'm sticking with what's working for me until I have no choice (as in, laptop gives up the ghost - I know I can't upgrade to 10 on this machine....)

Posted 01 Aug 2015, 14:46 #13 

raistlin
Installed reasonably well.

As usual, Micro$oft have taken the best features and hidden them away. Ie. Control Panel.

Biggest problem? Kaspersky doesn't work with Windows 10, despite their protestations that it would be fully supported.

Does anybody know a mainstream Cyber protection suite that works with Windows 10 please?
Paul

Posted 02 Aug 2015, 10:06 #14 

Jürgen
Kaspersky and F-Secure are two of the best anti virus solutions for Windows. Having already a license for KAV, I recommend to wait for an update, which solves any issues with W10. In the meantime you could use Windows Defender.

Posted 02 Aug 2015, 15:32 #15 

raistlin
That's it, I've had enough of Windows 10.I'm going back to Windows 7. Latest problem? Windows goes to sleep and then the only way to shift it is to switch the power off and on again. Not even the reset switch has any effect.

Nice one Micro$oft.
Paul

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 17:38 #16 

Bernard
Strange, apart from the huge problem of actually carrying out the upgrade, I find this by far the best incarnation of the dreaded Windows.
It took me the best part of a day to get it set up to what I wanted but I am finding it very fast, less than 30 seconds to boot up and very intuitive to use.
I had problems with both my machines hanging up during the upgrade and spent a lot of time going round in circles googling the problem but the end result is fine.
I even like the replacement for IE. (Going to wash my mouth out with soap now.)

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 19:22 #17 

humphshumphs
I upgraded last Friday and haven't had any problems. Even my Anti-virus updated itself to work with Windows 10 (I use Eset NOD32) and agree it's much much better than Windows 8/8.1 and as good as Windows 7.
Richard

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 20:02 #18 

PaulT
I'm quite happy with 10. The download took ages but where I am at present the download speed is about 1Mb per day.

The START button is welcome, seems to be easier to use than in 8.

Had no problems with it running and Norton seems fully ready for 10.
Paul

Posted 11 Aug 2015, 20:35 #19 

Mad-Monkey
If I upgrade can I use windows 7 on another machine or is that licence gone to w10?

I know I can only upgrade one licence to w10 but does that become seperate to my w7 licence after?

Posted 12 Aug 2015, 12:36 #20