Windows XP SP3 by raistlin

raistlin
I want to install one of my Office 2010 licences on my laptop which at the moment has SP2 installed.

Office 2010 insists on SP3 which isn't, of itself, a problem.

What I'd like to know dear readers, is whether SP3 would install the infernal Internet Explorer 8. You know, the version which DOESN'T let you run the MG-R EPC?

Thanks for any advice :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:04 #1 

starbug2
Sp 3 was out a while back , whether or not it has Internet Explorer 8 i forget as on this xp desk top i use Firefox so even if it does just set your currant to what you have now is my view :gmc:

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:08 #2 

JohnDotCom
If you upgrade from SP2 to SP3 Paul it "should" give you the option of IE8 refuse it and say not to remind in future. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:10 #3 

Jürgen
Paul, the IE8 isn't mandatory with SP3. The service pack contains all previously released updates and fixes, but not IE7 nor IE8. So IE6 will work fine with SP3.

See the PDF file here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview.

Microsoft wrote:Microsoft is not adding significant functionality from newer versions of Windows, such as Windows Vista, to Windows XP through XP SP3. For instance, Windows XP SP3 does not include Windows Internet Explorer 7, although Windows XP SP3 does include updates to both Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7, and it will update whichever version is installed on the computer.

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:22 #4 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :D

Best place on the net for info this is :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:29 #5 

starbug2
raistlin wrote:Thanks chaps :D

Best place on the net for info this is :)

yes may even find stuff out about rover 75's :lol:

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:30 #6 

Jürgen
You're welcome. ;)

Posted 21 Jul 2010, 19:31 #7 

James.uk
The PC shop loaded WinXP pro SP3 onto my new C/drive and they included EXplorer 8.. So I just uninstalled it, and loaded EX 7 on instead.. :thumbsup: Works just fine now. :)

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 13:47 #8 

ColinB
I just installed SP3 (after reinstalling XP and then SP2 to get my laptop working again) and it gave the option not to install IE8. On top of that, when installed it offered me a choice of browsers to install.

Posted 05 Aug 2010, 22:42 #9