Where not to build by Borg Warner

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Borg Warner
Got this from work.

It's and 11kV overhead line atop a pole and yes they built the bungalow around it.

Gary M.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 01 Mar 2014, 19:05 #1 

Borg Warner
And another:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 01 Mar 2014, 19:09 #2 

humphshumphs
However did they get away with that.... or have they?

Planning not going to like that :)
Richard

Posted 01 Mar 2014, 19:40 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Surely that is Photoshopped? Or a mock up, the bungalow is clad in Stirlingboard. Nobody could be that stu................ Well maybe they can.

Posted 01 Mar 2014, 21:27 #4 

Borg Warner
It's for real.

Gary M.

Posted 01 Mar 2014, 23:18 #5 

Trebor
And still miles from the nearest exchange for a decent broadband signal no doubt !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 02 Mar 2014, 08:22 #6 

Borg Warner
One of my colleagues was telling me that as a linesmen he was called to a site where the builder had erected scaffolding between the HV o/h line. Now there are strict guidelines as to how close you can approach these lines when live, 1.1m, so how they managed to get the pole between them, a gap of around 0.6m, and not discharge to earth heavens knows.

Gary M.

Posted 02 Mar 2014, 11:01 #7 

Dave Goody
How would they seal around it? In a strong wind I bet these poles bend a couple of inches?

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 17:16 #8 

Bermudan 75
So the local planning office have never inspected this building? I find that very hard to believe, The Norbord Boarding Stirling OSB/3 is used as sheathing in timber frame buildings, so this building is still under construction.

Love to know where it is. Cheers

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 20:02 #9 

Last edited by Bermudan 75 on 03 Mar 2014, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
One other thing has struck me. If you follow the tile line from the pole to the eaves, it looks very much as if the pole is directly behind the front door. Thus entry/exit to and from the building may well have been compromised somewhat. ;)

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 20:39 #10 

Trebor
hope they get a dog, it will have somewhere to piss up without ever leaving the house !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 20:50 #11 

Duncan
Trebor wrote:hope they get a dog, it will have somewhere to piss up without ever leaving the house !

Yeh but the existing dog looks a bit fierce and would probably eat the newcomer.

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 20:52 #12 

Trebor
thats a great spot Duncan, attention to detail as usual !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 20:55 #13 

Borg Warner
I have had the pleasure of free climbing such a pole using climbers. Similar to leg callipers but with a short metal spike roughly in line with your ankle about an inch and half in length. When you get to the top it feels as if it is swaying about 6ft especially if there is nothing attached to it cable wise unlike in the photo. It's probably only sways a few inches if that. When at the top you have to belt yourself on using a rather substantial harness, hold on with one hand wrap the harness around the pole, swap hands then clip the end on to your belt. Quite hair raising. I only ever did it as a trainee.

Free climbing is discouraged nowadays, it's a bucket, ladder then climbing irons. Too many fall.

Gary M.

Posted 03 Mar 2014, 21:20 #14