Well I Just give up.... by takestock (Page 1 of 2)

takestock
As Many know I was placed at risk of redundancy again just before Christmas ( this has happened for the last 5 yr or so) this time they are shutting the department down so we are all going.

Then they put you in a nationwide pool of what jobs are remaining that match your skill set within the company.
I was in a pool of 2 people for one position.
The position is to inspect work carried out in Birmingham and West Sussex. ( Remember I live in Leeds west yorks)
It is a pay grade below what I am on at the moment and the lad that is doing the job now has been with us 4 year or so and lives just south of Birmingham.

The official job interview was Monday, so, I had a chat with the missus and on Friday last week I rang HR to advise them I would decline the interview, I was out of the area and there is a man in place.
HR told me if I was refusing to attend the job interview it would be classed as a resignation! This would mean I lost my 10yr redundancy payment, well that wasn't going to happen!

Trundled down to B'ham Monday Morning ( 3 hours) and attended the interview.

Off to Newcastle upon tyne head office Yesterday to attend my final consultation, be given my leave date, redundancy figure and notice period. Only to be told that I had been successful in my interview and I was no longer at risk !!!!. I have just confirmed my salary will not be reduced, T&C remains the same that also includes my place of work is my home address so I am classed as "at work" the min I turn my laptop on.

Don't get me wrong I am pleased to have a job but this is commercial madness is it not???
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 15:56 #1 

Last edited by takestock on 31 Jan 2014, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Trebor
Dave , it is madness, after 40 years in the job I went through whats called a limited selection exercise a couple of years ago, which is basically a reduction in the amount of people on the team and everyone fights for the new jobs that remain, problem was a couple of people who they wanted to retain and were good at their jobs and had lots of experience didnt get through the selection thanks to a really crap recruitment process, in the end goal posts were moved in order to keep the 2 on so what was supposed to be a fair and equal process was anything but. I went part time down to 3 days per week which helped the situation as I was not than classed as a full time unit.

I dont have to go through it every year though so god knows how you must feel and yes it is corporate madness and treats the very people who make the profit for the company with contempt, caring for staff, what a joke !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 16:26 #2 

MrDoodles
Sorry, but it sounds like a result to me!

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 17:43 #3 

Borg Warner
Sounds wrong to me. What happened to the other chap? Sadly some companies don't seem to know how to treat their most valuable and versatile asset. Its workers.

Gary M.

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 19:08 #4 

Bermudan 75
I would sack all HR staff, people are personnel not human resources.....

Pleased that you have retained you job Dave.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 19:15 #5 

Jumper
A bit of background ( but don't tell anybody):
I spent some years while 'in harness' as a representative for Union members in particular and staff members in general when they were faced with Disciplinary measures and/or termination of employment contracts. I wasn't 'bolshy', just concerned with the fair and equitable application of contract law as it applied to the worker. I was required, by the employer, to ensure the correct procedures were adhered to so that neither side could legitimately appeal an outcome (and thereby ahem, to avoid unnecessary expenses). Sadly, it has left me with a somewhat pedantic tendency to 'put the other side' irrelevant of my personal feelings.

On thread:
There have been many changes to employment law in the last 15/20 years. Much emphasis has been placed on these changes being in the interests of employees. Unfortunately the net result of these shenanigans has enabled employers to reduce staff numbers while minimising their liability for redundancy payments. Oh, and a proliferation of lawyers. Again.

Whilst there was a lot wrong with trades unions' presence in the workplace they at least used to be a brake on the worst excesses of 'business consultants' who were largely hatchet men. Now they are camouflaged in HR battledress.

Edit: I wish I could that italics thingy right!
Edit: It is now. ;)

Posted 31 Jan 2014, 19:51 #6 

takestock
Well, started my new position on Monday. Looking like I am about to be placed at notice of redundancy again this afternoon ........................
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 10:53 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
A whole 5 days? Are they losing their touch?. :confused:

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 11:03 #8 

PaulT
Presume they are hoping that you will find another job and save them redundancy pay.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 11:07 #9 

takestock
Diary for this week:

Monday: Completing paperwork from last weeks Scotland inspections/audits and finishing off any loose ends from my old position

Tuesday: Leeds to B,ham Tuesday, afternoon reading up on Tech specs to contract, overnight stop.

Wednesday: all day in B,ham interrogating the systems they use and having the laptop upgraded, travel home, got back about 7:30 pm.

Thursday: Request booking for hotel for two nights in Brighton next week as we have a new contractor in that area who needs inspecting urgently........

Conference call at 1pm today from the MD. Word is funding has been pulled on the scheme, 45 day consultation period then notice I would imagine....... Couldn't make it up. ...
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 11:27 #10 

takestock
Yup confirmed 45 days notice, job lasted less than 5 days :D :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 19:03 #11 

Trebor
Its one thing being on the change curve Dave, but you are looping the loop !

Not much you can do to influence the situation, but it must be a big worry for you non the less
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 19:04 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bloody hell mate, really feel for you. :(

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 19:04 #13 

humphshumphs
Totally ridiculous.... you couldn't make it up.
Richard

Posted 07 Mar 2014, 20:10 #14 

PaulT
Take it your company is not a 'touchy feely' type.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Mar 2014, 08:07 #15 

Borg Warner
Adjectives do not exist for what I am trying to.....

Gary M

Posted 08 Mar 2014, 15:23 #16 

JohnDotCom
Cannot believe the troubles and stress this must be causing you again Dave. Keep fighting and searching.
All I can wish you is good health and a renumeration package with a Company that respects it's employees.
Sorry Dave. All the best to you both.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Mar 2014, 13:37 #17 

Devilish
takestock wrote:Well, started my new position on Monday. Looking like I am about to be placed at notice of redundancy again this afternoon ........................

Have been trying to find the words but...............
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 27 Mar 2014, 07:23 #18 

woolleysox
Sorry to read your news again very few companies appear to consider the workers it's all about short term thinking and budgets. Don't let the b&&&&& grind you down.

Rob
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 30 Mar 2014, 21:24 #19 

takestock
Had my first one to one meeting, going forward no inspectors required, end of. there will be a 5 person team nationwide to run the "legacy program" I may just apply for the senior scheme managers (top position available) role just to make work for them..... :) Looks like I finish middle of July :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 30 Mar 2014, 22:07 #20