VIS tester by raistlin

raistlin
I'd just like to remind people that we have our own VIS (Variable Intake System) motor tester, thanks to Dave (takestock).

It's available to borrow as and when required :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Feb 2011, 18:44 #1 

Zeb
Yes please....whilst I am sorting everything else.... :?

Posted 20 Feb 2011, 21:25 #2 

raistlin
Zeb wrote:Yes please....whilst I am sorting everything else.... :?

It's out at the moment Carl.

When do you want it?

Rgds

Paul
Paul

Posted 20 Feb 2011, 21:35 #3 

Dallas
Questions!!!!!! :rolling:

1. What is the VIS Motor ?
2. Where is it ?
3. What does it do ?
4. Whats the symptoms when not working ?
5. Is it a easy fix ?

Cheers Wes. :thumbsup:

Posted 20 Feb 2011, 23:06 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Dallas wrote:Questions!!!!!! :rolling:

1. What is the VIS Motor ?
2. Where is it ?
3. What does it do ?
4. Whats the symptoms when not working ?
5. Is it a easy fix ?

Cheers Wes. :thumbsup:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_l ... e_manifold
2. There are two , power and balance, they are to the left of the inlet manifold, (two black boxes with a cable attached.
3. See 1.
4. lack of power surge at 3K RPM and 4.7K RPM
5. Very simple to remove and replace, repairs are tricky. viewforum.php?f=125

Posted 20 Feb 2011, 23:18 #5 

Dallas
Thanks for that Mick :thumbsup: Great repair guide.....

................ Something similar to the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) sensor on other vehicles engines then (Mass Air Flow) or not! ......

Posted 20 Feb 2011, 23:35 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Not. :)

A mass air flow sensor is used to find out the mass of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine. The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU (Engine Control Unit)) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, air density varies with the ambient temperature, altitude and use of forced induction and this is an ideal application for a mass sensor. (See stoichiometry and ideal gas law.)

There are two common types of mass airflow sensors in use on automotive engines. These are the vane meter and the hot wire. Neither design employs technology that measures air mass directly. However, with an additional sensor or two, the engine's air mass flow rate can be accurately determined.

Both approaches are used almost exclusively on electronic fuel injection (EFI) engines. Both sensor designs output a 0.0–5.0 volt or a pulse-width modulation (PWM) signal that is proportional to the air mass flow rate, and both sensors have an intake air temperature (IAT) sensor incorporated into their housings.

When a MAF is used in conjunction with an oxygen sensor, the engine's air/fuel ratio can be controlled very accurately. The MAF sensor provides the open-loop predicted air flow information (the measured air flow) to the ECU, and the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop feedback in order to make minor corrections to the predicted air mass. Also see MAP sensor.

Posted 21 Feb 2011, 00:05 #7 

takestock
Sorry I missed this last night chaps, in a hotel in Leicester at the moment (Wifes friends daughters funeral today, sad story :( ) Reception is a bit poor and we were out for a meal last night. Anyway.
VIS motors, Usually the only signs of failed VIS motors is a less smooth delivery of power and a lack of performance particularly @ 3,100 revs and 4,500 revs. VIS tester will tell you they are working or not by forcing the action of the motor ( on or off the car) Replacements are currently around £85 each if you decide to buy new, ( don't forget to put the letter L after the part number for a better price, around £3 off a balance and, wait for it, £30 :shock: off the power one).

MKE100102 power
MKE100110 balance

Or you could always find somebody to repair them for you ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 21 Feb 2011, 09:01 #8 

MN190
Other sign of failed VIS motors is poor fuel economy

Posted 21 Feb 2011, 16:18 #9 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:
Zeb wrote:Yes please....whilst I am sorting everything else.... :?

It's out at the moment Carl.

When do you want it?

Rgds

Paul

As and when Paul...plenty to be sorting in the meantime...

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 13:18 #10 

raistlin
'Tis en route to North Walsham as we speak Carl. If you like I can as the forum member who has borrowed it to post it straight to you when he's finished with it.
Paul

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 13:52 #11 

raistlin
Just a bump to say that the VIS tester is idle at the moment if anybody needs it :)
Paul

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 22:05 #12 

Ray Squires
Hi is the VIS tester available?

Ray

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 18:23 #13 

raistlin
It needs to be at the nano-meet Ray. That's the weekend after next.
Paul

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 19:07 #14 

raistlin
Dave says he will have another VIS tester at the nano-meet so yes, the club tester is available :)
Paul

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 17:49 #15 

Duncan
I will have a VIS tester at the meet, too, and the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) can do them as well.

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 18:10 #16 

TonyW
I'd like to go on the list to have a turn with the VIS tester if possible please, I keep reading about this 'kick' at 3k but don't seem to get it. That, and the ticking noise from the engine makes me think mine are broken. Cheers.
ZT 160+ in Solar Red ~ 2.5V6 on LPG, I'm falling for her more every drive!

Posted 11 Jul 2011, 22:29 #17 

raistlin
PM me your details Tony :)
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2011, 06:37 #18 

raistlin
OK.

I have the VIS tester back at last so it is available again chaps :)
Paul

Posted 24 Sep 2011, 09:23 #19