The Thermostat in the top hose mod. by bopperbrian

bopperbrian
Just askin' I am thinking of carrying out this mod but first of all I need to ask the question.
Those of you that have done this modification; Have you had any problems with your cooling system during this spell of hot weather?

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 08:53 #1 

takestock
Although i have a petrol I know of a couple who have carried out this conversion with no ill effects through the recent hot weather, hope that helps :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 14 Aug 2013, 20:21 #2 

bopperbrian
Thanks for your reply 'takestock'. The car takes quite a while to warm up in winter and I am convinced that the thermostat is the cause, but I am torn between doing the mod or fitting a new thermostat behind the water pump. This method seems a bit of a job and the mod is easy. Your comment is good but I would like a couple of others who have done the mod to convince me.

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 10:05 #3 

dattrike
I did mine 2 years ago,no problems at all even with the hot weather we've had recently.
The difference between -5 Deg C ambient air temp and 30 deg C ambient air temp when the car has warmed up to running temperature of about 85 deg C average (in my car) is in how fast running temp is achieved. With the mod at least it gets to proper running temperature.

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 12:29 #4 

bopperbrian
Thanks for that dattrike, My car takes something like 8 - 12 miles in the winter before it reaches the correct temp. It goes up very slowly unlike all the other cars I've had, which stay at the bottom and then suddenly start to rise within 3 or 4 miles, I take this to be the thermostat stuck open.

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 15:45 #5 

raistlin
I was contemplating this but was wondering whether the OEM thermostat would conflict with the mod thermostat.

Any views please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Aug 2013, 17:04 #6 

dattrike
As far as I know the original thermostat fails open or opens to early, but if unsure you can always remove the original, then do the top hose mod. There was a case on the OC of a top hose mod failing closed which caused over heating.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... t=top+hose
If you read the whole thread some decided to replace the original thermostat.

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 14:50 #7 

Bermudan 75
The thermostat refered to is the Renault one, I believe Steve (Arctic) has successfully used an alternative thermostat from Gates.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 15:42 #8 

raistlin
Thanks for the info :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Aug 2013, 16:31 #9