Diesel thermostat, job done! by Duncan

Duncan
Thanks to the advice on this forum, and some extra hands provided by Paul (Raistlin) have done the diesel thermostat change today. The hardest part was a hose clip. I left the grips on, but they popped off before i got the clip back. It was then almost impossible to get any tool that would fit in the space, but open wide enough to go over the clip.

Anyhow, I'm now seeing between 91 and 93 degrees. Fuel consumption is more like 42 than 35 I was getting before (though it is early days) and a part throttle stumble I had that I thought was a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) issue seems to have gone away too.

Just got to fix the radio aerial now. The presstud on the glass has somehow come off so I need to find some conductive glue to fix it on with.

Posted 02 Oct 2011, 15:15 #1 

raistlin
I can see now why my mechanic griped when he did mine Duncan :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 02 Oct 2011, 15:30 #2 

James.uk
Most people are fitting the in pipe ones now with 100% success so far.. :)

Seems the old ones always fail in the open position, so you just leave it where it is... :)

Posted 02 Oct 2011, 23:10 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Duncan wrote:Just got to fix the radio aerial now. The presstud on the glass has somehow come off so I need to find some conductive glue to fix it on with.

If you gently heated the window will a normal soldering iron not do it?

Posted 03 Oct 2011, 21:48 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Duncan wrote:Just got to fix the radio aerial now. The presstud on the glass has somehow come off so I need to find some conductive glue to fix it on with.

If you gently heated the window will a normal soldering iron not do it?

Posted 03 Oct 2011, 21:48 #5 

Duncan
Well I'd already bought the OE stat some time ago, so it seemed the sensible thing to do. Seems to be running 4 degrees hotter than the in hose stat too.

David, I'm not sure about solder. I think they use low melting point solder so a cool iron ought to work. However it looks like it's pulled the substrate off too, so theres nothing to solder to. I've ordered some conductive glue from the bay of fleas, and will report back on how good it is.

Posted 04 Oct 2011, 07:00 #6 

raistlin
I found conductive glue to be excellent Duncan. I used it to secure an aerial terminal on the windscreen of a friend's Vectra. Surfaces need to be scrupulously clean of course.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Oct 2011, 07:18 #7 

Duncan
Done the first 'proper' run this morning, on a route I've done many times before. Improvement seems a little more realistic now. I was regularly getting 35.7 on this run, have got 39.2 today under the same conditions. That's about 10% bettter!

Posted 10 Oct 2011, 07:01 #8