Removing silicon from door finisher fitment by Duncan

Duncan
A few people have fitted the all metal 'Crofts' door finishers using Silicon. I had a problem that they came loose quite quickly.

The problem wasn't that the silicon didn't stick at all, it stuck very well to the paint on the door, but didn't stick to the finishers. I suspect the problem was I didn't remove the polish from the manufacturing properly.

Anyhow that left me with some horrible silcone on the doors which would not come off. If tried a few things, but today found an old plastic ruler worked a treat. It was one of the brittle ones that kept snapping (watch your eyes) but this gave a nice new edge.

Now it's still not a five minute job, but managed to clean up two of the four doors this afternoon.

It's also worth pointing out there is an obvious change in colour of the paint where the silicon had been compared to the bits where it wasn't. I've used a bit of TCut and it is still there (Sorry TCut).

When I've done all four, will be using some adhesive tape.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 18:51 #1 

raistlin
Mine have been fitted since day one with double-sided tape Duncan and they're as sound as a bell :)

I tried first of all with silicon but got more on me that I did on the finisher :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 19:26 #2 

James.uk
I used black window sealer to fix mine, I put a huge slug shaped blob At about a third way down, then another two thirds of the way down. on the back of the finisher, I then carefully got the finisher under the handle which I had wedged in the open position with a lil doorstop rubber wedge.

I wriggled the finisher about untill it was firmly in place against the door.. I then moved on untill I had done all four..

Then I used some paint thinner to clean any of the sealer showing round the edges.. Finally I used some masking tape to hold them in place overnight..

Next day I took the tape off and put a tiny amount of clear silicone on the tip of my finger and worked all round the edges of each finisher to seal them from any damp or water getting in..

Two years on they seem to be OK to me.. :thumbsup:

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 19:54 #3 

Duncan
I think you mentioned that at the Nano.

Certainly worth a try, though last time I used that I got in a right mess.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 20:14 #4 

Poppy
Hiya. I use silicon to fit everything....lol. Badges, my meshed grill... Yes, i think that the problem is if the back of the thing you are trying to stick is "shiny" you know, like the chrome finish... A couple of my chrome interior door handle finishers have broken lugs and keep falling off... Used silicon... Fell off... eeeek. So, i scored the back of the finisher with a knife and sandpaper.. Applied the silicon and "Hey Presto" Done. Sooooo impressed, now thinking about do it yourself implants...LMSO. Poppy
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 20:27 #5 

takestock
Poppy1 wrote: now thinking about do it yourself implants...LMSO. Poppy

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 20:39 #6 

DeuxGazoles
Now that I've got to feel :shock: erm SEE, SEE phew :gmc:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:09 #7 

Poppy
LOL. Cheeky monkey you..
If you always do what you've always done... You will always get what You've always got.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:13 #8 

phenonix
raistlin wrote:Mine have been fitted since day one with double-sided tape Duncan and they're as sound as a bell :)

I tried first of all with silicon but got more on me that I did on the finisher :(

I used double sided tape also, still there 3 years later...touch wood!

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 10:18 #9 

James.uk
Poppy, I'm sure if you pop along to a nano meet you will find plenty of volenteers to help -------------------------------- ;) Prob turn out to be the biggest nano meeting ever!!!!!! :lol: :D ...

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 15:59 #10 

Mintman

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 17:45 #11 

Duncan
Mintman wrote:Here's the easy removal stuff :thumbsup:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17175/Sea ... over-100ml

I've got something similar, but according to the instructions (and experience last time I used it) you have to remove the majority of the stuff first and just use it to take off the last remains. The last bits were the easy bits, so I didn't bother. I was also a little concerned what it might do to paint.

Worth mentioning as an alternative though, cheers.

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 18:12 #12 

Poppy
James.uk wrote:Poppy, I'm sure if you pop along to a nano meet you will find plenty of volenteers to help -------------------------------- ;) Prob turn out to be the biggest nano meeting ever!!!!!! :lol: :D ...

Hiya James.. :em: Think that may be stretching things a bit far....lol. Poppy

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 20:41 #13