Vaillant turbo max combination boiler?? by Zeb

Zeb
A mate of mine has been told that her 12 year old boiler has peed water all over the electrics and now she must pay £3000 for a new boiler! DOES this happen???? The water level had been on '2' and then two days later it registered as empty....seems a mad design to have it so water CAN (Bus Controller Area Network) get on the electrics???

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 10:29 #1 

takestock
Unfortunately Yup the pcb's on all boilers do tend to be at low level. invariably the water passages circulate around the cabinet at all levels, would be nice if the pcb was in a waterproof area but that would be too easy ;) If you can find out the parts it requires I can find out part costs. :) It will almost certainly be a single electrical component (and of course the cause of the leak)

Now if it has damaged the electrics is another matter, it can, but has it?

3k for a new boiler, I don't think so Zeb :( Thats a Pants down price

Edit, you got a model no so i can look at the inst instructions and Fault finding flow chart
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 10:58 #2 

Last edited by takestock on 31 Jan 2012, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Blocked Plenum, clearly

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 11:05 #3 

Zeb
Thanks Dave! The price is supposedly to include labour and VAT...!

The boiler itself is inoperable so one assumes something is damaged somewhere?

Boilerman says also that the internals are 'calcified up' as well......

The numbers on it are VUW 242E VUW 282E 4704425126

Hmmm....she tells me they have said they will fit a new one tomorrow...obviously the lady is desperate to get it fixed quickly due to the freezing weather.....think they know they have her over a barrel as it were...!

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 11:21 #4 

Last edited by Zeb on 31 Jan 2012, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
She would be better off sourcing her own boiler, I bought a new Biasi combi for £350 3 years ago.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 11:35 #5 

Zeb
Rover418275 wrote:She would be better off sourcing her own boiler, I bought a new Biasi combi for £350 3 years ago.

To say she and her husband are not practical would be an understatement! So, this option is unlikely...that said I HAVE convinced her to get a second opinion and she now has a price reduction of £2k on her first quote......boilerman will be sad....he had fitted her in special-like for his £3k boiler since she was an emergency....

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 13:23 #6 

PaulT
£3k sounds an excellent price - for the plumber. And a £2k reduction! Dick Turpin is still alive then.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 13:54 #7 

Zeb
Apparently he was very cross when she phoned up to cancel...:D

Second guy has said whoever serviced it 8 weeks ago had done a poor job and left leaves in the vents ....oh, guess what? It was indeed the first plumber who had serviced it! The good lady did not let on that she had already had it looked at but this new plumber said there were several things wrong and it would probably be cheaper / as cheap to replace with summat with a 5 year guarantee.. and went on to quote her the lower price. The only downside being he cannot do it till Friday....One happy lady! (Shame I am not on commission..:( )

As you say Paul, Dick Turpin with a pipe wrench!

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 14:13 #8 

Tourerfogey
Mmm, the company she called first wasn't that 'local' company run by 19 cousins with branches nationwide and recently featured on TV was it?

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 14:19 #9 

takestock
Zeb

Hopefully your sorted now but if your not:

I have the installation instructions for this model that include a comprehensive fault finding flow chart. There are two main PCB (Printed Circuit Board)'s

Main switchboard part no 130310 @206.34 +VAT
PCB part no 130390 @ 121.71 + VAT

It will not be both (if any) Some Vaillant models have a low pressure cut out that stops the boiler from working if there is no pressure in the system.

If you want I can mail the PDF to you?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 14:24 #10 

Zeb
Thanks Dave. If you could please...just out of interest as much as anything! I hope she is sorted - a bit tricky as they are a couple of hundred miles away....looking at those prices if there is pipework that needs replacing (the water must be going somewhere!), and the guy said the fan has failed...I guess a new one maybe is the simpler and more cost effective solution...I'd still like a look at the layout though!

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 14:31 #11 

PaulT
The good thing is that it sounds as though she has found a decent plumber and if the new boiler is more economical then there will be savings.

And with the £2k saving she can either buy a load of electric heaters or stay in a hotel until Friday.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 15:30 #12 

Dave
Had our boiler replaced last year for a (now sounding quite reasonable) £1750

If your friend is localish, then perhaps the same bloke could do it?

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 17:56 #13 

Zeb
She is in Ipswich.....all sorted now for a not so unreasonable £1150 for the fitting of an Ideal Logic combi (never heard of them!) with a 5 year guarantee..

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 23:25 #14 

MN190
For a combi 12 years is good :gmc:
Does the 5 years include parts and labour or just parts?

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 00:05 #15 

takestock
Logic is the latest offering from ideal to replace the truly woeful ISAR. been installing them in there hundreds on the scheme, not known a single one go wrong in the last 12 month :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 00:31 #16 

Dave
Zeb wrote:She is in Ipswich.....all sorted now for a not so unreasonable £1150 for the fitting of an Ideal Logic combi (never heard of them!) with a 5 year guarantee..

Makes ours look expensive now..... :(

Ps. Was this Jane?

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 09:11 #17 

Zeb
That sounds positive!

It was Jane Dave yes...

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 10:18 #18