Boiler Gone... Lovely! by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Went to put the heating on last night...

Turns out the boiler has decided to play ball no longer!

Dad's replaced the parts this morning that he thought were causing the problem, sadly to no avail! :shock:

He's of the thought that there is no water getting to the heat exchanger, we're waiting for the guy who serviced it to come around on Sunday to see what he thinks!

Wish I wore slippers!

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 20:07 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bad luck Jake. Always a good idea to have a back-up system, I keep a 3Kw electric convector heater stashed in the garage in case of emergency.

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 20:10 #2 

JakeWilson
Cheers Mick!

We Did have an 800W Halogen Heater Lamp for those, however that's down in Swansea as I've no heating there at all! :(

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 20:23 #3 

DeuxGazoles
I keep a thick blanket :gmc:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 20:23 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
DeuxGazoles wrote:I keep a thick blanket :gmc:

Does it have a name? :gmc:

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 21:36 #5 

JohnDotCom
I was shocked to read that over 90% of boilers that failed this winter were the new only legal to fit high efficient Condensing boilers.
Due to their design one of the return pipes has been freezing,
According to Bosch who own one of the biggest combo boiler makers, they say always try and fix your old type boiler, they will easily outlast the new design ones due to the gases/acids etc which are normally pumped out being recirculated, not the technical jargon, the acids and other elements are wrecking the new boilers, and long term won't pay for themselves like the Government say.
There is loads you can read up on this and during the freezing weather several papers printed the warnings.

Back on topic hope you get yours sorted.
We have backup and gas fires as well as central heating due to being caught out many years ago.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 21:54 #6 

JakeWilson
JohnDotCom wrote:I was shocked to read that over 90% of boilers that failed this winter were the new only legal to fit high efficient Condensing boilers.
Due to their design one of the return pipes has been freezing,
According to Bosch who own one of the biggest combo boiler makers, they say always try and fix your old type boiler, they will easily outlast the new design ones due to the gases/acids etc which are normally pumped out being recirculated, not the technical jargon, the acids and other elements are wrecking the new boilers, and long term won't pay for themselves like the Government say.
There is loads you can read up on this and during the freezing weather several papers printed the warnings.

Back on topic hope you get yours sorted.
We have backup and gas fires as well as central heating due to being caught out many years ago.

Thanks John! :)

Ours is a Worcester one, (part of Bosch group) and apparently is called the "rolls-royce of boilers! since we moved in here in 2004, we've had continual problems with it. Now whether that's just how combi- boilers are, I don't know, but our old house had a standard system and it worked a treat!

A Jumper, two pairs of socks and a coffee with a drop of Johnny Walker red label - it's like being back in student digs! :D

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 22:06 #7 

Zeb
Got some oil heaters you can borrow Jake if they are any help?

Posted 07 Jan 2011, 22:12 #8 

MN190

Thanks John! :)

Ours is a Worcester one, (part of Bosch group) and apparently is called the "rolls-royce of boilers! since we moved in here in 2004, we've had continual problems with it. Now whether that's just how combi- boilers are, I don't know, but our old house had a standard system and it worked a treat!

We have a glow worm Combi fitted in 2003 (I think now part of the same group) in the first 5 years the bits I have seen replaced are
1 circut board
1 new interface panel
2 new heat exchangers (I managed to keep one of these)
2 filling loops
2 diverter valves
1 sani block

I asked the engineer if it would be better to get it changed?
His reply was its had that many new parts it is virtually new and a new one won't last any longer

The 25+ year old back boiler it replaced we had for 5 years and never needed any parts other than a service until it finally gave up and we couldn't get it fixed due to its age.
We consume thae same amount of gas as we did before so so much for the savings

I fitted a magnaclean and a strainer on the return loop and since then its just needed a water sensor which packed up over the xmas break so just a few days with no hot water from the boiler. The heat exchanger gets swapped over every 6 months and I get it cleaned out at work.
The dirt that first came out of the magnaclean had to be seen to be believed.

Posted 08 Jan 2011, 00:05 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have a Worcester Heatslave 12/14 Combi boiler. It is oil fired and touch wood has not given any problems in 4 years of use. No doubt I have many of the joys you describe to come.

Posted 08 Jan 2011, 00:26 #10