Unusual sandwich combinations by Messenger (Page 2 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

DeuxGazoles
Is it true or just a myth that proper pasties have something sweet like stewed fruit at one end as a pudding (dessert)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 22:35 #21 

calibrax
Bacon & marmalade. Try it, you'd be surprised how good it is.

Chicken & cheese (used to be unusual but I know a few people who like it now)
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 22:44 #22 

loz1971
Right, now you've done it, you shouldn't have asked that, prepare yourself!!

The Cornish pasty originated when the tin mines were in full swing. Tinners wages weren't the best, so they had to make all there food last as long as possible, and the cheapest things to buy were vegetables and pulses, but a Sunday roast was always a tradition, and, usually, the only chance you had to eat proper meat. Now, as things had to be stretched to last, food had to be used up properly, but the Tinners had to eat well in the mines due to the harsh conditions, and so the Pasty was born.

The wives of the Tinners would make thick short crust pastry, and place on one half remains of the Sunday roast (meat, spuds, carrots, onions and turnip, usually) and on the other half the would place stewed apples, or whatever other fruit was available. they had both savoury and sweet in them so that the Tinners got a "square" meal in them. Then they would fold the pastry over and crimp a large crust around one side. The large crust was so that the Tinners could hold the pasty and eat it without getting the dirt off there hands going into there mouths.

The pasty's were made from thick pastry due to the fact that they were thrown from Tinner to Tinner along the mine shaft to reach the correct person, and, obviously, they didn't want them to fall apart half way along the pit!! ;) ;)

But in answer to your question, nobody puts the "sweet" in them anymore, well, not in the ones you can buy anyway!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:nurse:ALWAYS BE MORE HOPEFUL!!! Image

[centre]"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"[/centre]

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 22:50 #23 

Ragman
Well said that man, spent my childhood in Devon/Cornwall (where Dads family is from) and my Great Aunts traditional homemade Pasties were to die for - never had the like since

Posted 05 Jun 2010, 23:30 #24 

DeuxGazoles
Cheers Larry I hoped it was right as it seems a good idea drool!...................I knew for certain about the crimp being the "handle" though

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 12:09 #25 

Duncan
SpongeBob wrote:Finest pork sausages from local organic, open pig farm with phillidelphia soft cheese and spicy tomato chutney. Yum. :D Fairly normal but one of many favourites from my local lunchtime sandwich shop where they make everything to order right in front of you. All locally-sourced produce and as fresh as they can get it. Even the bread us baked during the sane say.

Would they be Packington Porkers?

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 15:43 #26 

goodlittlewifey
When I was pregnant with one of the kids, I liked cream cheese and fresh strawberries on a bread roll, mmmmmm NOT,
but you eat cream and strawberries so why not cream cheese and strawberries, :D
someone introduced me to cheese and beetroot sarnies, I thought it would be yuck, but they are actually very nice

Posted 06 Jun 2010, 23:36 #27 

RRobson
a very tasty combo is chocolate spread and a digestive, just like eating a biscuit. another interesting mix is rice and custard, much like rice puding in a sandwich. chips also taste nice with a bit of custard or ice cream :)
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 11:09 #28 

PaulT
loz1971 wrote:Right, now you've done it, you shouldn't have asked that, prepare yourself!!

The Cornish pasty originated when the tin mines were in full swing. Tinners wages weren't the best, so they had to make all there food last as long as possible, and the cheapest things to buy were vegetables and pulses, but a Sunday roast was always a tradition, and, usually, the only chance you had to eat proper meat. Now, as things had to be stretched to last, food had to be used up properly, but the Tinners had to eat well in the mines due to the harsh conditions, and so the Pasty was born.

The wives of the Tinners would make thick short crust pastry, and place on one half remains of the Sunday roast (meat, spuds, carrots, onions and turnip, usually) and on the other half the would place stewed apples, or whatever other fruit was available. they had both savoury and sweet in them so that the Tinners got a "square" meal in them. Then they would fold the pastry over and crimp a large crust around one side. The large crust was so that the Tinners could hold the pasty and eat it without getting the dirt off there hands going into there mouths.

The pasty's were made from thick pastry due to the fact that they were thrown from Tinner to Tinner along the mine shaft to reach the correct person, and, obviously, they didn't want them to fall apart half way along the pit!! ;) ;)

But in answer to your question, nobody puts the "sweet" in them anymore, well, not in the ones you can buy anyway!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now wasn't the actual crust intended, not for the dirt but otherwise the stuff on thier hands could actual poison them.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 11:45 #29 

Cowley_MOA
Well at the school canteen they have started using rubber in place of Cheese in their sandwiches... Or thats what it tastes like anyway :D
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 14:49 #30 

DeuxGazoles
RRobson wrote:chips also taste nice with a bit of custard or ice cream :)
Well You're just not right..........NOT RIGHT I tells ya :mrgreen:

Anyhoo what about Milk & Lemonade to wash it down with

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 15:12 #31 

goodlittlewifey
RRobson wrote:a very tasty combo is chocolate spread and a digestive, just like eating a biscuit. another interesting mix is rice and custard, much like rice puding in a sandwich. chips also taste nice with a bit of custard or ice cream :)

yuck yuck and yuck

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:04 #32 

RRobson
goodlittlewifey wrote:

yuck yuck and yuck

if youve never tried it, you will never know :mrgreen: i do highly recommend chocolate spread and a digestive, its just like eating a desert :D

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:20 #33 

goodlittlewifey
I,ll stick with cheese and beetroot its main course not desert,and I was always told you cant have pudding if you dont eat your main course first,

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:39 #34 

RRobson
goodlittlewifey wrote:I,ll stick with cheese and beetroot its main course not desert,and I was always told you cant have pudding if you dont eat your main course first,

true, as i have been told, which is why you simply have a proper pudding after :mrgreen:

what would you eat first, chocolate spread and digestive samdwich, or bread and butter pudding :panic:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:45 #35 

JohnDotCom
Tried Liver, Onions, Aubergines and Mayo once and that was enough to be honest. :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:48 #36 

RRobson
JohnDotCom wrote:Tried Liver, Onions, Aubergines and Mayo once and that was enough to be honest. :gmc:

Mmmmmmm, last nights liver and onion sarnies :D but aubergines and mayo? your a braver man than i john 8-)

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:52 #37 

JohnDotCom
It was all that was in fridge after a night out, and would eat well almost anything.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 22:58 #38 

RRobson
JohnDotCom wrote:night out

that explains everything. if i can just ask why wou bothered puttting mayo and aubergines on as surely that meant more unnecessary preperration, and thats the last thing you want when youve just stumbled in :mrgreen: :cheers:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 23:04 #39 

JohnDotCom
er to be perfectly honest I wasn't sure what was going in but couldn't find the butter I knew should go on the bread, so used mayo.
John

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 23:09 #40