Ultimate OEM remote by stroheim

stroheim
I have the OEM Ultimate Remote mod which sometimes sounds the alarm when locking the car, this happens randomly and I can go for weeks without any problem any suggestions --thanks

Posted 26 Apr 2011, 13:22 #1 

Duncan
When you say sounds the alarm, do you mean just a short beep, or a proper alarm with siren going and lights flashing.

Posted 26 Apr 2011, 13:48 #2 

stroheim
Hi its the proper continuous alarm that's triggered...
thanks

Posted 26 Apr 2011, 18:08 #3 

Cowley_MOA
stroheim wrote:Hi its the proper continuous alarm that's triggered...
thanks

Is your car fitted with a BBUS (Battery Back-up unit sounder)?
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 26 Apr 2011, 18:19 #4 

Duncan
Not one I've heard of before.

Does it happen as soon as you lock, or a little while after?

Posted 26 Apr 2011, 19:28 #5 

stroheim
Hi a little after ..thanks

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 07:17 #6 

raistlin
I've been puzzling over this one. It's a problem I've never come across before :(

Can you say what leads you to believe that the UR is the cause of the problem please?

Does the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) indicate an entry attempt?

Are there any other symptoms?

Is there anything in the circumstances which you've spotted as common when the problem occurs?

Do you have the volumetric alarm?

Do you have a sunroof?

Does the alarm 'peep' when you lock the doors?

Sorry for all the questions but 'tis a bit difficult to diagnose at a distance, so to speak, but I'm sure we can solve it between the lot of us :)

I've discussed it with Duncan but again, not really enough info yet.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 18:59 #7 

takestock
i have the volumetric alarm, sunroof, headlight wash etc, and its never happened on mine, sorry it's no help but just to eliminate things :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 19:32 #8 

raistlin
Thanks Dave :)

We'll get there in the end. Having the car in front of me would be best but... let's see how far we get :)
Paul

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 19:46 #9 

Duncan
I can't think of a mechanism that would cause the issue either, because the remote works in exactly the same way as putting the key in the door and turning it.

We did see an oddity with the indicators giving an extra flash when not expected, but all cars did this (given the right circumstances) and did it 100%. In fact my cars without the mod, both do it when the conditions are the same.

That leads me to wonder if theres actually a problem somewhere else. Bonnet switch would be favourite, but a door switch or even a trapped wire could cause it.

It would be useful to know if you have the battery backed siren, and / or ultrasonic monitoring.

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 19:57 #10 

stroheim
raistlin wrote:I've been puzzling over this one. It's a problem I've never come across before :(

Can you say what leads you to believe that the UR is the cause of the problem please?

Does the IPK indicate an entry attempt?

Are there any other symptoms?

Is there anything in the circumstances which you've spotted as common when the problem occurs?

Do you have the volumetric alarm?

Do you have a sunroof?

Does the alarm 'peep' when you lock the doors?

Sorry for all the questions but 'tis a bit difficult to diagnose at a distance, so to speak, but I'm sure we can solve it between the lot of us :)

I've discussed it with Duncan but again, not really enough info yet.

Hi thanks for the help, in reply to the questions:
1. No sunroof
2. No volumetric alarm (not quite absolutely sure but I have a se connie)
3.The IPK shows that the alarm has been triggered with a bell icon
4.No peep unless one of the doors is open
The alarm is cancelled upon re locking with the fob. Maybe I should check the wiring for soundness of joints but I did solder with heat shrink sleeving

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 22:32 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI
This was happening to my car just before xmas as soon as i was locking the car it would do the usual beep then about 30mins later the alarm would go of i could not stop this from happening so i used to open the doors and manualy close them from the rear door and that would be the last door i closed.

In the end it turned out to be the battery i had checked all locks cleaned them squirted them with silicon just to make sure the contact was ok this was happening at the time of the bad cold weather we had. and some times in the morning the car would not start having been drained by the alarm going off not to mention the neighbours being kept awake. :confused:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 Apr 2011, 23:55 #12 

Duncan
I did wonder about the car battery, hence my question about it being a battery backed sounder. I had a similar problem if I left the car standing for too long without a charger. Mind you, the battery was so bad it wouldn't start the car when the problem happened. I also wouldn't expect the lights to flash or the warning on the dash, but as I say my battery was so had it these wouldn't show anyway.

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 07:00 #13 

raistlin
stroheim wrote:No volumetric alarm (not quite absolutely sure but I have a se connie)

If you did you'd have a sensor mounted inside the car, either in the middle of the roof or to one side, by the upper seat-belt mounting point.

The fact that the alarm doesn't trigger immediately could point to the volumetric (ultrasonic) as the sensitivity builds up over a period of time after the doors are locked to compensate for possible movement as the car settles ie. furry dice etc ;)

stroheim wrote: Maybe I should check the wiring for soundness of joints but I did solder with heat shrink sleeving

You could, and it would rule out another possibility but I don't think that is where the problem lies :) I can't see any link between what is happening and the UR.

You could disconnect the UR power supply for a while and see if the problem recurs but, as you say, being a sporadic and random occurrence, that wouldn't be really conclusive except over a long, and unspecified, period of time.
Paul

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 07:49 #14 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the help it could be my battery as suggested as I have had some problems with my battery ; flashing headlights and needing to get my charger out especially in the past cold weather so it looks like I need a new battery although lately the battery seems to OK

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 08:01 #15 

raistlin
Krap-Fit and the like will be able to carry out a quick discharge test on your battery. It only takes a few seconds and is a reasonably conclusive test in my view :)
Paul

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 08:06 #16 

stroheim
Thanks I like your name for Kwik fit :clap: . What's the best battery for a CDI should I need one

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 16:03 #17 

raistlin
stroheim wrote:Thanks I like your name for Kwik fit :clap: . What's the best battery for a CDI should I need one

For gawd's sake don't have a Krap-fit battery. Just get them to test it (and watch what they're doing as well).

I've bought batteries for both my Rover 75 cars from HERE

Next day delivery, charged and ready to fit. Three year warranty. The one in VeeKay has been there for over 3 years now and has never given a hint of trouble, even with the amount of electrics that seem to have attached themselves to the car :lol: Never a moment's hesitation cold starting either. VeeKay fired within a couple of cranks even in the -12 degrees we had here over Christmas last year.

I have the cheapest one, the NUMAX. As a guide, Krap-fit quoted me, if I recall, £99 AND they said they would have to cut my battery cable terminals off as they "weren't compatible" with their battery types.

I imagine there will be other recommendations for other suppliers where people have had a good experience but that's my tuppenceworth :D
Paul

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 16:11 #18 

Last edited by raistlin on 28 Apr 2011, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

stroheim
Ta very much for the link

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 16:24 #19 

Duncan
I put a Varta on mine, though paid a little more from our local motor factors. Five year warranty ISTR.

Posted 28 Apr 2011, 18:15 #20