The finest in the world? by PaulT

PaulT
This is from eBay, a listing for an RR:

'An absolutely beautiful example which we are proud to offer on behalf of the marque enthusiast who is reducing his collection of cars which also includes a Cloud 3 and a Silver Dawn. Covered just 49,000 miles, the bodywork, interior and mechanical condition of this car are quite superb and it is very easily amongst the best examples available. The car was subject to extensive restoration works and mechanical overhaul in the late 2000's and the condition of the car indicates a great deal of money has been spent, one bill alone totalling £9500 for mechanical works in 2008 and the car has covered only 2000 miles since. The vehicle is accompanied by an A4 folder full of invoices, previous MOT's etc.'

So after 47,000 miles it needed £9,500 of mechanical work. Well, my 75 has done twice that and certainly not needed anything apart from normal service items apart from an electrical problem which cost nothing to solve and a repair to the wiring to a front headlight. So which is the best in the world.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 20:12 #1 

Duncan
Yes, but its probably something like a seventies or eighties Shadow. And work and parts are VERY expensive. Probably had the brakes and suspension done, I mean it's not like the springs and brakes never go on our cars.

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 20:30 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Age and lack of use kills classic cars. Can cost an arm and leg to recommission the shiniest of them after standing for a few years.

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 22:04 #3 

Trebor
this is it, just under 20k !

Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 19 Feb 2015, 15:04 #4 

PaulT
Yep, that's it.

Sorry Duncan but even with high parts and labour costs it still seems rather excessive to me. I fully accept that not using a car does it no good.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Feb 2015, 16:22 #5 

Duncan
It's a seventies car even if this ones newer. It's got a complex self levelling suspension system, and complex power brakes. There will only be one source of spare parts for much of it. It looks like the work has been done really well as it looks a fantastic car. Show me another car of that era that wears like our modern cars.

On the other hand yes it is excessive. But then everything about cars like that is. The equivalent today is probably quarter of a million or more. I mean just having a 6.75 litre engine is excessive in its own right.

Posted 20 Feb 2015, 17:52 #6 

Jumper
I was lucky enough to own the previous model to this, model year 1976 and very close to last Shadow 1 - can't remember the reg.no. but chassis no. is etched on my memory. Last bill I paid was for a brake service - £980.

Had it 10 years and it never failed to amaze me. Took the brake box apart once - never again. One thing that sticks in my mind is taking the cruise control mechanism apart to solve a surge that woke you up at 80 mph. The most beautiful centrifuge in stainless steel and phosphor bronze I had ever seen. That item alone must have been worth at least £500 as salvage. What a car. Even the workshop manual came in 5 volumes and, although expensive, it paid for itself 4 times over in the first month.

I've had my R75 five years now and am a huge fan of the model but am under no illusions about the build quality and sheer engineering expertise and meticulousness (?) of that RR. The problem is when they are damaged the costs of repair are scary. One of my rear bumper sides was gouged out by a clumsy parker who forgot to leave his address under my wipers so I had to seek a suitable outfit to do the replacement. Price prohibitive, so repair the only solution. The guy I found was about 90, could hardly walk without two sticks. He had one of those tall red-leather-seated three-legged stools you see at the bar in Peppermint Rhino (so I'm told anyway) so he could half sit and half stand at his bench. He silver solder loaded the gouge and re-nickeled it (together with the opposing side) and to watch him work was a privilege. Completely unaffected and modest wizard of a man. Happy days.

Posted 24 Feb 2015, 14:20 #7