synergy 2 improves mpg. by 1gp

1gp
fitted the synergy 2 box a week or so ago , and what a improvement it has made all round . It now pulls really well which is GREAT , but the best bit is that mpg has now gone from 40 mpg to 51 mpg , and thats short runs really , long back lanes NO sitting in traffic ... this must be as its sorted out my poorly maf . :thumbsup: to the synergy great little bit of kit , best £123 i have spent on any car .... :thumbsup:

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:35 #1 

Duncan
Sorry, it only appears to improve the MPG, if you use the trip computer. The box works by making the system put in more fuel than the ECU (Engine Control Unit) thinks, so the readings go adrift.

EDIT:

sorry, I've assumed that's the issue. Maybe you have done a brim to brim check?

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:37 #2 

raistlin
I think it does improve consumption but only a small amount and, possibly, only on automatics as the increased torque enables the transmission to maintain higher ratios for longer. Just my thoughts :)

It certainly messes up your on board MPG calculations though. You can, of course, adjust that using TC's excellent how-to :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:48 #3 

1gp
really is that the case ..... well saying my maf was in bad shape and never got over 40mpg even on a long run .. and yes brim to brim .... iam not the only person that has got improved mpg by fitting a box .... do you run one ? also remember yes ,its putting in more fuel , but your not thrashing it to get anywhere, and your getting lots more low down torque, so not having to change down a gear for hills etc ;)

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:53 #4 

DeuxGazoles
The last long run I did in my car the computer showed a most impressive 51.4 mpg but a quick calculation on refuelling ie miles travelled to litres replaced it was only about 38 mpg :roll:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 20:59 #5 

1gp
may i ad, I HAVE NOT GOT A TRIP COMPUTER . brim to brim and mpg calculator.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:02 #6 

DeuxGazoles
1gp wrote:may i ad, I HAVE NOT GOT A TRIP COMPUTER . brim to brim and mpg calculator.

Oooooooooooooooooohhhh! handbags :mrgreen: :gmc:
I take it yours is a manual cos an auto just wont do it :confused: I think the synergy does help consumption on lower settings but I find on 10 it drinks a bit :shock:

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:08 #7 

Duncan
1gp wrote:may i ad, I HAVE NOT GOT A TRIP COMPUTER . brim to brim and mpg calculator.

Yes, I already thought I may have assumed wrongly, but I did say so.

It does muck up the trip computer, but your brim to brim readings should be right.

The chances are it's mostly down to the improvements in the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) performance as it could well have been overfuelling beofre and wasting the stuff, just as you suggested.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:13 #8 

1gp
Yep its a manual , and now i have no black rear bumper . it just shows how it was over fueling with the shot maf. it has took some setting up mind you , tryed lots of settings to get the best all round .. every engine and driver is different, so not the same settings for everyone. would still like to get it on a t4 to check properly . but a big improvment . may i ad the back lanes i use to work everyday are always empty ,and they are fast and flowing 60 mph , so that helping the old mpg . :thumbsup:

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:19 #9 

DeuxGazoles
1gp wrote: may i ad the back lanes i use to work everyday are always empty ,and they are fast and flowing 60 mph , so that helping the old mpg . :thumbsup:

I bet that helps the smile factor aswell ;)

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:20 #10 

1gp
oooooooh yes.

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:22 #11 

tammyboy
Hi synergy improved my mpg by about 4 -5 mpg also keep a record of all brim to brim results and difference from computer read out , link below .

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... mVKzhMxKAg

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 21:47 #12