Slow file transfer over ethernet by raistlin

raistlin
Hi all,

I'm getting an average of 11.0 MB/s file transfer over my Gigabit ethernet link between desktop PC and NAS.

Is that regarded as a slow speed for Gigabit please? If so, how do I speed things up?

Thanks.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Aug 2016, 14:00 #1 

Duncan
The issue may not be the link, but the performance of the NAS. Even if the discs can transfer the data quickly to the board in the NAS, it may not have the power to get it onto the network nearly as fast. You should test with a selection of big and small files to find the root cause.

Posted 21 Aug 2016, 15:32 #2 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:You should test with a selection of big and small files to find the root cause.

Thanks Duncan. Please can you add more detail?
Paul

Posted 21 Aug 2016, 19:17 #3 

Duncan
Sorry not really. Not a network expert but have known that the power of the NAS can be a bottleneck.

Posted 21 Aug 2016, 20:26 #4 

raistlin
OK. Thanks anyway :)
Paul

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 05:39 #5 

PaulT
Think I get about that speed over the ethernet. Putting the files on an external HDD and using the USB port on the NAS over doubles the speed.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 07:55 #6 

Jürgen
Hi Paul, just a few thoughts.

The speed you've measured is a reasonable one for Fast Ethernet (100 Mbit/s). That's capable of about 94 MBit/s = 11.75 MB/s. As your 11 Mbit/s is quite close to the maximum speed of that, I guess there's at least one component involved which is configured for 100 Mbit/s. A bottleneck caused by something else would most probably result in some other transfer rate.

So you could check the network settings of the NAS, PC and router. Are all the ports used at the router configured for high speed? It could be labeled 1 Gbit/s, Power Mode or something like that. Green Mode is a synonym for 100 Mbit/s.

BTW the type of the cables is important as well. At least CAT5 cables are required for Gigabit Ethernet. And as Duncan said, even if the NAS offers 1 Gbit/s on its network port, the hardware could be to slow to provide that speed.

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 13:45 #7 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

Good idea regarding the maximum speed of a 100 MB/s setup Jürgen. I think everything is setup as Gigabyte but I'll re-check. I'll probably disconnect the switch because the NAS is connected directly to the router. With the switch disconnected there will only be my desktop PC and the NAS in the network. That may point me in the right direction.

My cncern is that this slowdown has only been noticeable recently and if I'm right about that then the NAS hardware should be perfectly capable of producing higher speeds.

All my cables are either 5E or 6.
Paul

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 16:33 #8 

raistlin
OK,

The HP Laserjet 5550 is causing the slow speeds, being only a 100MB device.

So, my next question. Is there any way I can get the network to run at Gigabit speeds but still have access to the printer? It has to be a network printer as all my devices need access to it.

At present, my Gigabit router is connected to my main desktop PC and my NAS, with one other connection to a gigabit switch into which all other network items are connected, including the Laserjet.

Any ideas please?
Paul

Posted 22 Aug 2016, 17:44 #9