Sky upgrade by Dave

Dave
OK, my mum used to have a full Sky+ subscription, but let this lapse a few years back, and now pays around £10 a month for the ability to record

She's recently expressed an interest in upgrading a bit, to get channels like ITV Encore (she likes her old crime drama repeats!) Now, the thing is, she can move to the "Original Bundle" which is £20, which she can afford and be fine with, but just looking here, at the Sky Shop it would seem that a new customer can have this same price, but with a free 32” Samsung TV or Sonos PLAY:1 Speaker

The latter is worth possibly £150, and guess the former is too, so effectively that'd be a year for £90 instead of £240. Does anyone know of a way to get a discount for existing customers? Would it be possible to register as a new customer under my name at her address for example?

Not wanting to do anything dodgy of course, but the offer as it stands does seem unfair!

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 15:44 #1 

Trebor
What happens if she cancels and then rejoins doesn't that make her a new customer ?

It's the old look after the new customers but take the existing ones for granted sales policy.

Why don't you try ringing them and ask for your mom to be treated as a new customer as she wants to upgrade
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 17:36 #2 

Dave
I hate ringing Sky! They always take an age to get through to, and then have trouble getting the point across!

Might try one of their "Live Chat" things though, that's worked in the past.

Good point about ending the contract then re-starting mind.... :)

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 18:47 #3 

PaulT
Do not know about Sky, but other providers suddenly offer deals when you use the magic words 'I am about to change providers'. Think they go on the basis of keeping a customer and even a small amount coming in is better than nothing.

Some have conditions against cancelling and rejoining immediately, but they are strong on retaining customers.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 20:01 #4 

PaulT
Or, if the area is cabled chat to Virgin Media, say you are a Sky customer and ask if they can tempt you.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 20:02 #5 

Duncan
I don't know about other things, but mobile providers are getting smarter. Telling them you plan to leave no longer gets you anywhere. 'Sorry its our best offer'. So then you say OK I want my MAC / PAC or whatever code. Only then do you get the decent offer. Orange / EE will be getting that on Friday when they tell me the tariff we are on is the best available, whereas new customers can get it £4 a month cheaper.

Posted 01 Jul 2015, 21:29 #6