SatnNavs by Geoffrey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Geoffrey
After reaching the end of its working life, my Mio SatNav can no longer be updated and must be replaced by a more recent model. I'm thinking very seriously about giving it a miss and changing to TomTom or Garmin, the current favourites in this part of the world. I would be most grateful for any tips, advice or suggestions from other members.
Geoffrey.

Posted 19 May 2011, 21:08 #1 

Duncan
I've always got on with TomTom, although as an app on a handheld (ipaq) or a smartphone (I have a Nokia).

Posted 19 May 2011, 21:39 #2 

JohnDotCom
Dodo has a TomTom which is very good, clear with lane guidance etc, good for car and walking (sic)
Its a Via Live 120 you can get Europe and UK & Ireland.
It has live traffic updates, speed camera alerts etc and a 4.3" wide screen. Best price from Amazon.
Forgot it also has Bluetooth to answer phone etc, reads out street names and has a number of options listed but I forget.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 19 May 2011, 22:08 #3 

PaulT
Sat Navs ruin a dirve with a partner. Firstly, there is the argument about the map reading and directions given which really makes the time go quickly. This is followed by the deadly silence enabling you to listen to what is going on on the radio.

Seriously, have a Tom Tom and no problems with it. Have read a lot of adverse comments about Garmin but have never tried one.

If I were to buy a new one it would be with voice activated control

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 20 May 2011, 07:00 #4 

stevemac
Garmin is generally the professional choice. They make most of the boat and light aircraft GPS's. But if you want Basil Fawlty or Billy Connolly giving you directions then you need a Tom Tom.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 20 May 2011, 12:24 #5 

MrB
Delivery driver with Garmin couldn't find my house, he only found the name of the development from the postcode.

I moved into my house 11 years ago, the development was finished 9 years ago, and he had the latest map.

I have TomTom and my street has been on their maps for as long as I have owned one, since approx 2005.

HTH
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 20 May 2011, 12:52 #6 

JohnDotCom
stevemac wrote:Garmin is generally the professional choice. They make most of the boat and light aircraft GPS's. But if you want Basil Fawlty or Billy Connolly giving you directions then you need a Tom Tom.

They may build good units I cannot comment on that, but their maps they issue and updates to, are Crap!
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 20 May 2011, 14:00 #7 

stevemac
MrB wrote:Delivery driver with Garmin couldn't find my house, he only found the name of the development from the postcode.

I moved into my house 11 years ago, the development was finished 9 years ago, and he had the latest map.

I have TomTom and my street has been on their maps for as long as I have owned one, since approx 2005.

HTH

Can't remember how many times I've heard that from a delivery driver who has turned up late!
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 20 May 2011, 14:21 #8 

takestock
Tom tom all the way every time for me, speed of input with postcode search and clear instructions,
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 May 2011, 06:28 #9 

MrB
stevemac wrote:
MrB wrote:Delivery driver with Garmin couldn't find my house, he only found the name of the development from the postcode.

HTH

Can't remember how many times I've heard that from a delivery driver who has turned up late!

He wasn't late, it was actually a couple days earlier than expected - 3-4 day delivery that arrived next day.

He gave me the name of the development, I didn't give him it. So I would say his map was way out of date or Garmin's maps are not up to the job.

Either way I have personally used TomTom, Igo and the BMW High Line on my car. TomTom wins hands down.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 22 May 2011, 11:31 #10 

Jürgen
I prefer the TomTom. The calculated routes are quite good and the display is neat without any unnecessary rubbish. Last but not least you can correct the map when you find an error, and you won't get a wrong direction there again.

Posted 22 May 2011, 12:23 #11 

stevemac
JohnDotCom wrote:but their maps they issue and updates to, are Crap!

That'll be a technical term will it. Never had a problem with my Street Pilot 550, always accurate throughout the UK and France, not tried it anywhere else tho'. Like all things, it's subjective, so you pays your money and takes your chance. There are only three major mappers in the world, so all the GPS's get theirs from either Navteq, Google or Tele Atlas.
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted 22 May 2011, 14:24 #12 

Geoffrey
Many thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my query. I think I'll definitely have a good look at the TomTom satnavs available over here - they seem to stock most of them, and plenty of French drivers swear by them.
Geoffrey

Posted 28 May 2011, 18:58 #13 

Jürgen
Geoffrey, when looking for a TomTom device, then have a closer look at the Via series. Some weeks ago I had the opportunity to play around with some of these devices. They are really fast when calculating a route (compared to the XL series).

Posted 28 May 2011, 19:53 #14 

Geoffrey
Jürgen - thank you for the recommendation. I've been using the Via 120 model for several weeks and am very impressed. Over here it announces all the street names individually in French, and has been very quick on the uptake during my UK holiday.
Geoffrey

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 12:39 #15 

JohnDotCom
Yes, I also have the Via 120 Europe as a back up now, and I am very impressed with the live data, street names etc.
John

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 15:43 #16 

mark d3
i have the garmin it gets confused and cant find addresses sometimes,when i went to the last four winds nano i partly had to work out where to go the garmin had no idea
mark

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 16:20 #17 

Jürgen
Geoffrey, it's good to hear that you're satisfied with your choice.

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 19:14 #18 

James.uk
I have a garmin, the only thing I have found that's a pain is when you enter a postcode it sometimes asks for a house number... DONT enter one!. Just click "save" and it works fine..

If you enter a house number, then it will try to find that house on the road you are on. In my case i wanted Thryburg country park and not knowing a number I entered number one........ wrong!! it took me miles out of my way... ------------ Do'hhh...... :(

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 16:07 #19