Saloon owners... by raistlin

raistlin
... if you are contemplating getting the OEM roof bars, please can I suggest that before you do, you lift the plastic caps in the roof and ensure that the threaded securing points are fitted?

One car today was found to have no securing points on one side but luckily the owner had only borrowed the roof bars so wasn't out of pocket (apart from a long drive to collect them).

Hopefully that will be very much a one-off :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 11:03 #1 

Ragman
Thanks Paul - appreciate the warning

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 11:14 #2 

Trebor
good advice Paul but all also be aware that i have seen a case where once you take off the outer plastic caps to reveal the screw threads there has been another cap inside on top of the thread, which looks initially as though there are no screwed threads so please check thoroughly, i bought some virtually new OEM roof bars for only £30 recently, not used them yet though.
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 11:42 #3 

JohnDotCom
Good advice to check first though. Thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 11:46 #4 

Pedro
Trebor wrote:good advice Paul but all also be aware that i have seen a case where once you take off the outer plastic caps to reveal the screw threads there has been another cap inside on top of the thread, which looks initially as though there are no screwed threads so please check thoroughly, i bought some virtually new OEM roof bars for only £30 recently, not used them yet though.

Yes, I had this with my car. I think the blanks inserted in the threads were to protect the threads from being covered with paint.
Peter

If all else fails......read the instructions.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 12:21 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The nylon inserts are there to allow the outer blanking plates something to plug into as well.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 12:36 #6