Saloon boot plinth fixings by raistlin

raistlin
Does anybody have, or know where to get, the thread cutting interference fit fixings which secure the outboard ends of the saloon boot plinth please?

I don't even know what they are called so an effective search on fleabay is impossible :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 May 2013, 15:08 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Is this the item?

part number AFU1878

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001794

Posted 05 May 2013, 15:47 #2 

raistlin
That's it Mick. Well, right page anyway. Item number:- DYH100840 Thank you. Rimmers know how to charge don't they?
Paul

Posted 05 May 2013, 16:34 #3 

Lates
(Trader)
Think you can use standard 6mm nuts as long as you don't go silly tightening them up

Posted 05 May 2013, 16:58 #4 

raistlin
OK Lates. Thanks :)

The posts are pretty chewed up but I'm hoping that some PTFE tape will give a reasonable grip to the nuts :)
Paul

Posted 05 May 2013, 17:02 #5 

raistlin
Hmm... forget PTFE tape :(

My solution, in the end, was to use Lates' idea but with a thick washer glued onto the nut to act as a spacer so that the thread in the nut would then grip part of the post which was relatively undamaged. The DYH100840 specific items were useless as well. Much better to use a proper nut with a finer thread.

It worked perfectly :) A little dab of UHU glue and a 10 minute wait for it to go off. Not TOO enthusiastic tightening them up of course ;)

BTW, I wouldn't advocate trying to put a washer on the post and hold it in place while you try to start the nut... not unless you want even more debris inside the boot-lid :lol:
Paul

Posted 08 May 2013, 18:49 #6