Running Windows XP or Vista on W10 machine by Dave

Dave
I've been using W10 for around 12 months or so now, since my Vista laptop died last year

One thing I miss is my old CD database which was constructed using Superbase. This worked for me on Windows 95, XP and then Vista, but won't on my current W10 machine, something to do with the old ones being 32 bit and this one 64 bit

I think it will work on a virtual machine environment (something such as covered here) but can't find any of my old installation disks for an older OS. :(

Does anyone here happen to have an XP or, preferably, Vista installation disk that they no longer need and would be happy to sell on? :)

NB: If said software is on a CD as opposed to the old days of floppy, should I be typing disc or disk? As it's software I have gone with disk, but as a CD is a compact disc, it seems a bit wrong :mrgreen:

Posted 14 Jan 2018, 17:18 #1 

humphshumphs
You should be able to run 32bit software on a 64bit system, but if the software is 16bit, then without a bit of work you wont run it on a 64bit system.
I'm sure I have a XP disk..... give me a few minutes to have a look :)

No, can't find the disks as I have probably got rid of them now :( as it's no longer supported by Microsoft - Sorry
Richard

Posted 14 Jan 2018, 19:09 #2 

PaulT
Superbase - there is something from the past along with Supercalc.

Have a look on eBay should find them there for a few £s
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Jan 2018, 07:54 #3 

Dave
humphshumphs wrote:You should be able to run 32bit software on a 64bit system, but if the software is 16bit, then without a bit of work you wont run it on a 64bit system.
I'm sure I have a XP disk..... give me a few minutes to have a look :)

No, can't find the disks as I have probably got rid of them now :( as it's no longer supported by Microsoft - Sorry

Thanks for looking!

Yes, I think it is 16-bit so am probably stuffed! This article backs up the idea that it's going to be a pain! Interestingly, the Superbase.com website has stopped working in the past couple of weeks...

PaulT wrote:Superbase - there is something from the past along with Supercalc.

Have a look on eBay should find them there for a few £s

Looks like I'll be on eBay. Thought I'd ask you lot first though as there's always the worry that an eBay disc might be dodgy :(

Posted 15 Jan 2018, 08:59 #4 

humphshumphs
I've found a copy of Windows XP Home in my box of disks at work, so if you need a copy let me know.
Richard

Posted 15 Jan 2018, 19:44 #5 

Dave
If you wouldn't mind, that'd be appreciated!

Posted 15 Jan 2018, 22:10 #6