Rover 75 Rear Sills Repair. by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Recently in July, i removed the rear subframe ready to add the new one, while i was doing that i checked out the orange dreaded mark on the NS sill which i noticed when i changed the rear spring a few weeks back.

A little prodding and yes for sure it's got the tin worm starting not gone far so hopefully caught it in time.
Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Scraped along the sill as you can see from the mark, the rust seems to be local to one area.
Image5

I ordered Tom's sill for the NS and have contacted a mobile welder, fingers crossed he's going to be good to fit this sill.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284325094439

Tom Hobbs is very busy so that is why i am unable to use him.

Ok so the rear sill has arrived from Tom Hobbs 7th July in quick time thank you. :bowdown:

I Have contacted a mobile welder, (Paul) who assures me he can weld the sill just like Tom does, so fingers crossed for the 18th July when he is turning up to proceed, i will of cause document the process cheers Arctic.

Image1

Image2

My plan for the sill to be welded by the mobile welder, have now changed, I just could not get the right answers from him therefore I have been lucky that Tom as agreed to sort out my sill for me sometime in September, I'm waiting on a date, well pleased.

I have patched it up over the jacking area since, I have a feeling I might need the jacking point doing as well.

Image1

Image2

I finally dropped the NUK off today 24th September to Tom, I was meet by his dad who is a very interesting chap as is Tom, what a place you could easy spend a whole week there it's really fascinating, as is Tom who explained how he began his trade etc, also loved the massive pear tree, looking forward to seeing my car back in good fettle.

Sills Repaired. ( Tom Hobbs. ).

The sills on the NUK have now finally been repaired, this was undertaken by Tom Hobbs.

Below are the photos taken by Tom as he progressed through the repair.

The 1st photo is of the temporary patch which was added until he was able to get me in with his very busy schedule.
Image1

2nd is when patch was removed.
Image2

3rd & 4th of them same.
Image3

Image4

The 5th is when the sill had been marked & cut out.
Image5

6th shows how the rust as affected the jacking point and the inner part of the sill.
Image6

7th closer look.
Image7

8th photo of jacking point from below.
Image8

9th is the start of repairing the jacking point and cleaning the inner back of the sill.
Image9

10th & 11th showing how the repair is progressing.
Image10

Image11

12th & 13th shows the jacking point added.
Image12

Image13

14th now shows the red oxide paint.
Image14

15th & 16th also 17th of the sill panel welded into place.
Image15

Image16

Image17

18th show the damage to the NS front sill which was on the car when i first purchased it back in 2018.
Image18

19th when the damage had been exposed.
Image19

Tom kindly added this into the work he was carrying out to the rear sill :bowdown:

20th is the rear sill having a little filler added over the welding area.
Image20

21st & 22nd of the rear & front nearing its final period of repair.
Image21

Image22

23rd rear sill painted.
Image23

24th front sill painted.
Image24

After this Tom proceeded to do the waxoyl, and fit the trim that was removed, and i was informed i could collect my car whenever i was ready.

I collected the car on Wednesday 28th had another great chat with Tom, saw Andy (trikey) car goldie on the ramps with his sill removed and being prepared for the same treatment, although his car needed some extra work inside the sill, see his thread.

These are the photos i have taken today of the extremely outstanding work carried out by Tom on NUK.

Front sill repair
Image1

Image2

Rear sill.
Image3

Image4

Note the waxoyl treatment inside the sill :bowdown:
Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Tomorrow the NUK is booked in for four new tyres & a four-wheel alignment.

Image9

A big thank you to Tom for getting me in at the end of September before the bad weather moves in on us over the winter.

I cannot recommend his services enough if you have to get this job done to your car which you will sooner or later, please try and get yourself booked in with him even if you have to wait you know it's going to be done right.

Most likely a few more photo tomorrow when the NUK has been shoed :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tom_pariah/m.html?item=284325094439&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Ok so to finish of the work on the NUK so far this year, to add to the rear subframe with new lower, upper arms and drop link, a new crankshaft pulley (Corteco ) with new belts, the sills repaired by Tomm Hobbs, Friday four new tyres fitted & had four-wheel alignment carried out.

Image1

Image2

Image3

Before readings & adjustments.
Image4

After adjustments.
Image5

Image6

Re-check in 3 months for free, there after £20 total cost for four-wheel alignment £65.

I asked at quick fit they wanted £126.00 i just laughed and walked away.

Full service before the end of October and car should be ok for another 12 months.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 02 Oct 2022, 20:50 #1 

Bernard
Nice bit of restoration there.

Posted 05 Oct 2022, 21:39 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bernard wrote:Nice bit of restoration there.

Hi Bernard.
Tom is excellent at what he does, come from a family of Blacksmiths, the skill was passed down, he as all the metal presses, guillotine cutter, all the sill parts are made hand, i was extra glad he managed to fit me in when he did, took him about four days to complete the two sills.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Oct 2022, 09:05 #3 

Jürgen
Arctic wrote:Tom is excellent at what he does,

The sill parts he made for my car are of very good quality. The only problem was customs, it took ages to get the parcel delivered.

Posted 06 Oct 2022, 11:40 #4