Retro-fitting hi-line by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Evening all,

I'm looking at fitting a hi-line system into the contemporary.

Has anyone retro-fitted before, what do I need to make sure I have?

Also as part of the install I am looking at putting the 16:9 unit in, but have read that not all BMW 16:9's fit.

Any help or hints would be much appreciated!

Jake

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 22:51 #1 

JohnDotCom
Jake although with the MK4 and 16:9 Digital system you will be installing a excellent system it is going to cost you several hundred pounds for the various components.
Required are:
MK4 DVD Sat Nav Computer
2011 DVD Map disc with speed camera alerts and 7 digit postcode search (from me)
BM24 or BM54 Radio Twin Tuner Unit
16:9 Digital Tv Tuner or Analogue Plus separate Digital TV Tuner
16:9 Cassette or (CD head unit if using BM54) head unit from a BMW E46 series only for fit and matching style.
If Tourer Shark Fin Aerial Saloon a good rear screen with corect design for purpose.
Wiring loom from front to rear, around £175 new
Sat Nav mounting bracket
TV tuner mounting Bracket
Radio tuner mounting bracket
and several hours of fitting, there should be a How Do ask Mick.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:05 #2 

MN190
Yes have done it
Had the lo-line fitted and removed this and fitted the hi line.
Cheapest route is to find a scrappy with a high line car and remove all the bits from that car.
Get it all running first the look at updating
Hate to say this but there are some good posts from people that have done this on the other side in the ice section.
Keith did a good how to and although this was for a 260 most of it should help

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:17 #3 

JakeWilson
JohnDotCom wrote:Jake although with the MK4 and 16:9 Digital system you will be installing a excellent system it is going to cost you several hundred pounds for the various components.
Required are:
MK4 DVD Sat Nav Computer
2011 DVD Map disc with speed camera alerts and 7 digit postcode search (from me)
BM24 or BM54 Radio Twin Tuner Unit
16:9 Digital Tv Tuner or Analogue Plus separate Digital TV Tuner
16:9 Cassette or (CD head unit if using BM54) head unit from a BMW E46 series only for fit and matching style.
If Tourer Shark Fin Aerial Saloon a good rear screen with corect design for purpose.
Wiring loom from front to rear, around £175 new
Sat Nav mounting bracket
TV tuner mounting Bracket
Radio tuner mounting bracket
and several hours of fitting, there should be a How Do ask Mick.

Thanks John and Mike

In my wishful thinking I only thought it was the head unit and BM54 (having just seen on ebay - gulp!)

I've been offered all the parts from a local guy on the other side who is replacing it for a chinese double din, however the sat nav drive is faulty.

Will the mk4 run on the original head unit for the time being?

Also, as I have HK fitted, are the amps the same or do they differ slightly?

Sorry for all the questions!

Jake

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:22 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have the original .pdf instructions, one of the 250 I created from forum posts. Which were never used.

PM if you want it and I'll email it to you.

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:26 #5 

JohnDotCom
The MK4 Sat Nav Computer can run on the earlier 4:3 Headunit with no problem.
I have fitted four complete systems in last three years.
I use to carry new units of some parts and refurbished other parts.
I'm currently not mobile due to a mishap, but would willingly help in the summer if you want to come over to North Wales.
Greeners has stripped many of these units out and the wiring on breaking for Les etc.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:30 #6 

JohnDotCom
Thought you did Mick, thanks
John

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:32 #7 

JohnDotCom
Also, as I have HK fitted, are the amps the same or do they differ slightly?

The HK system and connections can be a pain as several different amps.
Tourers and Saloons are different as well as cars with Sat Nav and cars without.
If you post up the amp model number I can check what you actually have.
John

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:38 #8 

JakeWilson
JohnDotCom wrote:The MK4 Sat Nav Computer can run on the earlier 4:3 Headunit with no problem.
I have fitted four complete systems in last three years.
I use to carry new units of some parts and refurbished other parts.
I'm currently not mobile due to a mishap, but would willingly help in the summer if you want to come over to North Wales.
Greeners has stripped many of these units out and the wiring on breaking for Les etc.

Thank you again John!

Once you're mobile again I will take you up on your very kind offer! :hail: (it will also prove a brilliant opportunity to visit north wales as I seem to be only confined to Swanea at the moment!) as having not done one before, it would take me forever (having attempted to remove an elec seat loom from a car the other day!)

I shall bring plenty of home made confection which I know Carl and Mick will certify.

The car is in Lincoln and I'm down in Swansea. Shall call home tomorrow and get the model number and let you know!

I didn't realise Greeners broke for Les.. do you believe it would be worth me dropping him a PM?

Best,

Jake

Posted 29 Jan 2011, 23:48 #9 

JohnDotCom
Yes Greeners (David) is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy, so by all means drop him a line.
John

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 00:09 #10