Rear door (saloon) Electric winding mechanism. by Mick

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi folks
The white clip device which is attached to the centre window runner has broken off. Looks to me that this is where the operating cables attach. I think one of the cables became tangled around its pulley and the force of the motor operating snapped the white plastic bit. Unfortunately not a repairable part.
I presume it would be impossible to get a new replacement.
Any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Mick

Posted 15 Aug 2022, 19:00 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick wrote:Hi folks
The white clip device which is attached to the centre window runner has broken off. Looks to me that this is where the operating cables attach. I think one of the cables became tangled around its pulley and the force of the motor operating snapped the white plastic bit. Unfortunately not a repairable part.
I presume it would be impossible to get a new replacement.
Any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Mick[/quote
]

Hi Mick.
The right direction would be to bring the car along to the next meet if you are feeling up to it, and we can fit a new window mechanism, which i have a couple of in my shed, about an hours work so not that bad really, also it can be done sitting down ;) drinking a tea or coffee.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Aug 2022, 23:28 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Steve, I'll take you up on that offer. Im already certain to attend the meet as Rob, Bless him, offered to clay and polish my car.
I'll put my name on the list and job on the list.

Posted 16 Aug 2022, 00:16 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick wrote:Thanks Steve, I'll take you up on that offer. Im already certain to attend the meet as Rob, Bless him, offered to clay and polish my car.
I'll put my name on the list and job on the list.

I Mick.
Excellent please remind me near the time of the meet so i don't forget to bring it with me, which door is it ? cheers Steve.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Aug 2022, 20:14 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi Steve, it's offside rear.
The motor is still functional, it's just the white plastic bit that the cables lock into that snapped off. Sounded like a shot going off. :) Thought somebody had taken a pop shot at the glass at first. :)

Posted 17 Aug 2022, 15:14 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick wrote:Hi Steve, it's offside rear.
The motor is still functional, it's just the white plastic bit that the cables lock into that snapped off. Sounded like a shot going off. :) Thought somebody had taken a pop shot at the glass at first. :)

Hi Mick
No problem i have one of those, door card off, protective membrane off, then remove the mechanism, re-fit the good one.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 17 Aug 2022, 23:31 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Door card, membrane and speaker are already off, I had to access it to jam the window shut. Heath Robinson strikes again. :)

Posted 18 Aug 2022, 16:16 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick wrote:Door card, membrane and speaker are already off, I had to access it to jam the window shut. Heath Robinson strikes again. :)

Hi Mick.
That means it will take less time :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 19 Aug 2022, 00:25 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
How To............
Keep your window shut when the winding mechanism is broken....... The blocks of wood situated under the metal part of the carrier, not the glass.
Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 14.01.11.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 20 Aug 2022, 13:03 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Mick a piece of 3"x 2" cut to length to fit inside the door, with a V cut into the top would hold the window, up for you and should not move when driving, or a big piece of polystyrene sheet, 2ft x 2ft and 2" or 3" thick will do the same job and most likely the best.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Aug 2022, 23:43 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Steve,
Having to work with the few scraps from my offcuts bucket. Failed MOT on number plate lamps means I can't drive anywhere to pick up supplies. No. plate lamps are fixed and I have to go for MOT Monday morning, probably in the pouring rain, so hopefully my Heath Robinson fix will get me there and back. :) The froggy below the handle is keeping an eye on it all for me. :D :D

Posted 21 Aug 2022, 11:08 #11