Poor radio reception by afbainbridge

afbainbridge
I had a new Sony (FM plus CD plus USB) unit fitted to my 75 recently (ther radio as fitted could not be re-coded). I'm disappointed with the signal reception. The audio end is fine, but the signal from the aerial in the rear offside window is plainly not up to much and the set drops it far too often. I notice that one of the two connectors on the top edge of the aerial is missing. Can this be replaced easily? Would it be wiser to replace the aerial with a separate external unit?

Posted 15 Aug 2012, 15:59 #1 

Duncan
Not sure whether you have a saloon or tourer so I'm not sure what you have missing. It sounds like a tourer, and if so only one of the two patterns should be connected, the other is for TV.

The most likely problem is the new radio is not providing power to the antenna amplifier module which is located just above the antenna if indeed it's a tourer. There's a single connector for the power and you can test to see if it's getting 12v on it with the radio on. If not that's your poor reception cause.

Posted 15 Aug 2012, 18:16 #2 

afbainbridge
Thanks, Duncan. It's a Tourer, by the way. I'll check the 12V connection - which will require me to pull back the roof liner etc, a job I hate.

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 12:08 #3 

Duncan
OK. Also check the connection to the screen. On mine it appeared intact but was actually adrift resulting in alomst no FM sometimes, as it made and lost contact.

Posted 16 Aug 2012, 12:09 #4