Political Correctness or 'Phonics'? by Tourerfogey (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Tourerfogey
From AOL News:

Parents were left confused and angry the word "black" was replaced by "little" in the traditional nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep during an Easter concert.

Despite the primary school insisting the adaptation was part of a new teaching technique, the move was described as "political correctness gone mad".

A spokesperson for the independent Park Hill School in Kingston, Southwest London, told local paper the Surrey Comet the lyrics were changed to teach children phonics and "fit in with the Easter theme".

"It was about baby sheep. It's a way of teaching phonics so children understand these words they are using."

The spokesperson added the school, which teaches three to seven-year-olds, had "always had adjustments" to the traditional nursery rhyme as the children preferred to sing different variations.

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 12:50 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Why don't they just remove black, brown, yellow and white from the dictionary and the colour spectrum Problem solved.
PC gone mad? No. Just the people that propound it.

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 13:53 #2 

MGBev
its only the white people who are offended at the word black anyway! black people are proud to be black!

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 14:18 #3 

PaulT
At some point, hopefully, there will be a major backlash against all of this nonsense.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 15:01 #4 

starbug2
the world is mad....

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 15:13 #5 

Zeb
Non-story. Infant / primary schools have for years messed about with the adjectives in nursery rhymes to suit whatever it is that happens to be the theme / area of the curriculum.

Just that phrase 'Political ccorrectness gorn mad' should put the reader on their guard that what follows will be an attempt to suggest that trendy, left-wing, one-legged lesbians (quite possibly black ones too!) are trying to take over the world...

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 15:18 #6 

Duncan
AOL. News. Contradiction in terms.

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 15:30 #7 

Tourerfogey
Duncan wrote:AOL. News. Contradiction in terms.

Ha ha, their reporters could certainly do with a lesson or two in English and punctuation.

(o, and yes, I no mi Inglish and punkyouashion isint allweighs perfick) :D

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 21:47 #8 

geesmith
They did the same thing with Twinkle Twinkle Black Star.

Posted 10 Apr 2012, 23:23 #9 

Jumper
I can't wait for the change to:
Ring-a-ring o' Pansies.

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 11:20 #10 

Last edited by Jumper on 11 Apr 2012, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Jumper
Sorry, that was awful.

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 11:20 #11 

PaulT
How can Parliament have Black Rod, surely it should be 'someone in fancy dress with a stick'
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 12:07 #12 

Trebor
reminds me of looking in a butchers shop window in Wales at least 10 years ago when I spotted
" Ploughpersons Pie " so this nonsense isn't new, bring on the backlash I say
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 12:22 #13 

MGBev
what would they call blackpudding??

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 15:56 #14 

raistlin
MGBev wrote:what would they call blackpudding??

ethnic pudding?

We were told to replace the word black with the word ethnic at work some years ago.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 15:59 #15 

Last edited by raistlin on 11 Apr 2012, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

geesmith
and PaulT has a point .. "Little Rod"!

It's the way you use it...

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 17:21 #16 

geesmith
The ad describes a Rottweiler as being little and tan but when you go to view it you find that it's actually very big and little!

You can't believe everything you read in little and white.(I would object to that. it should be little and flesh or somesuch)

I'll have the wedgewood blue one with the little interior.

Oh person, this is so uncool! If someone made my children sing that I'd give them a little eye!

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 17:29 #17 

Trebor
I have a new colour for my car Pearl Ethnic
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 11 Apr 2012, 23:12 #18 

Bermudan 75
The pc brigade should just ask the 'ethnic minorities' if they object to the word black, they would more than likely answew no. I don't think most Muslim shopkeepers are offended by Christmas imagery of Jesus etc., they think, 'Christmas... nice little earner'.

But the twerps in Government and Local Authority who could never get a job in the private sector impose this nonsense upon us all whilst being paid out of public funds and then retire to public funded pensions.

Posted 12 Apr 2012, 15:54 #19 

Tourerfogey
Oi Zeb!! I just tried to quote from your post but you've just deleted it - did you realise you were talking nonsense before I pointed it out to you?

Anyway your claim (now deleted) that Local Government Pensions are funded by Local Government Employees in Pension Contributions is complete nonesense! Yes they may contribute but the cost to the Government even in 2010 was around £80Billion a year - equivelant to 7% of Gross GDP. So Rover 418275 is correct to say that they are largely public funded. Yes, private companies may also contribute to their employees Pensions but to nowhere near that level.

Posted 12 Apr 2012, 17:45 #20 

Last edited by Tourerfogey on 12 Apr 2012, 17:53, edited 4 times in total.