Our Hamster is unwell, ideas??? by Messenger

Messenger
Does anyone know anything about Hamsters?

My son's hamster was found with blood around his mouth this evening and has since began to make clicking noises when breathing (don't laugh he's very upset...) These are accompanied by a squeak from time to time. (I said don't laugh!)

He ( the hamster) doesn't want to move around that much although he has climbed his cage a few times. He had some discharge from his eyes but that seems to have cleared up now and he is currently resting, whilst making strange noises.

As his teeth seem to be slightly uneven now I'm assuming that he has broken one and possibly trapped it in his windpipe.

Any ideas?

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 21:38 #1 

JohnDotCom
Other than getting it to a vet (could get expensive) can offer no advice.
If something isn't stuck sounds more like a Lung infection/problem.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 22:23 #2 

stevemac
HotblackDesiato wrote:Does anyone know anything about Hamsters?

My son's hamster was found with blood around his mouth this evening and has since began to make clicking noises when breathing (don't laugh he's very upset...) These are accompanied by a squeak from time to time. (I said don't laugh!)

He ( the hamster) doesn't want to move around that much although he has climbed his cage a few times. He had some discharge from his eyes but that seems to have cleared up now and he is currently resting, whilst making strange noises.

As his teeth seem to be slightly uneven now I'm assuming that he has broken one and possibly trapped it in his windpipe.

Any ideas?

Do you have a gas oven?
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 26 Jun 2010, 22:24 #3 

Zeb
Sounds like pneumonia I am afraid......:(

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 07:31 #4 

takestock
Doesn't sound good for the little fellow, hope he is not in too much pain. :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 07:53 #5 

MrB
stevemac wrote:Do you have a gas oven?

Seems a little harsh, but I guess a reasonably quick and painless way to curtail things?

How old is the Hamster, they only live around 2 years?

As Dave has said, I do hope the little might isn't in too much pain.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 11:57 #6 

James.uk
As Zeb said, sounds like a serious illness. Go to a vet and buy a tub of anti biotics (powder) then try sprinkling the stuff in tiny amounts into its mouth twice a day.

I used to do that on poorly small pets when I had pigeons, ferrets, fish n things and it worked surprisingly well in most cases... :)

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 13:41 #7