One for the aviationistas by raistlin

raistlin
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Nov 2012, 20:19 #1 

Bernard
I worked on the development of fuel transfer valves for the TSR2 and shared the disappointment when it was abandoned. But I hadn't remembered that it had made a supersonic flight, I thought the project was murdered before that- memory fail again.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 24 Nov 2012, 22:52 #2 

Borg Warner
Did I hear him right, he left a lightning?

Posted 25 Nov 2012, 11:28 #3 

JakeWilson
Yep, a lightning on twin afterburners couldn't keep up with TSR2 on a single afterburner. Had we deployed these, we'd have been decades ahead of everyone else. Technology from TSR2 can be found (albeit modernised) on the Typhoon.

Posted 25 Nov 2012, 12:10 #4 

Bermudan 75
TSR-2 was killed by collusion with the Yanks, and the RN / Lord Mountbatten wanting the nuclear deterrent.

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 18:22 #5 

MrDoodles
Rover418275 wrote:TSR-2 was killed by collusion with the Yanks, and the RN / Lord Mountbatten wanting the nuclear deterrent.

It was killed by a traitorous Labour Government and an anti-British Chief Scientific Advisor to the Ministry of Defence, Sir Solly Zuckerman. :evil:

Zuckerman had an extremely low opinion of British technological achievements and was much more in favour of procuring military hardware from the United States. :cry:

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 20:18 #6 

raistlin
Damned superb aeroplane though.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 20:20 #7 

Borg Warner
Slightly off topic, but the new carriers being built, does anyone know their proposed launch dates. Would so like to see at least one launched as I'm certain they'll be the last "capital" ships we'll ever built.

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 22:49 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Queen Elizabeth 2016 and the Prince of Wales 2018, those are the projected handover dates to the Navy. According to piece in the Telegraph last May.

Posted 26 Nov 2012, 23:38 #9 

Bolin
My Dad worked on the electrical maintenance systems of the TSR2, as well as test rigs for Concorde and the 747. I must try to make a record of all his engineering stories, although he often talks in far more detail than I can understand (as I know virtually nothing about electronics!).

Posted 28 Nov 2012, 19:37 #10