Oil change advice by phenonix

phenonix
I'm have experience at all at doing an oil change and was wondering
1..how difficult it is
2..what are the things that can go wrong?
3.. Is there a special tool to remove the filter?

I would buy genuine filters from Ebay and maybe even go down the path of using an extractor for the oil, would anyone have some advice please?

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 09:23 #1 

MN190
Which engine do you have?

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 12:22 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
MN190 wrote:Which engine do you have?

2.5 V6 Auto.

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 18:39 #3 

zojosc
Mick wrote:
MN190 wrote:Which engine do you have?

2.5 V6 Auto.

Phenonix said that without moving his lips? ;)
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 05:40 #4 

phenonix
:clap:
Gottle og geer!

Yes it's what Mick said

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 08:15 #5 

ceb
Piece of cake. I have zero mechanical skills (apart from what I've now picked up here and elsewhere!) and even I managed it.

Two routes depending on if you are changing the oil filter or not:

1. - No oil filter change - treat yourself to a vacuum extractor and a container for the used oil, run the engine for a couple of minutes to warm the oil, stick the pump tube down the dipstick tube, pump away and leave for 10/15 mins whilst it fills the container (you might need to re pump once just to re-create enough suction towards the end), you should then get about 5.0 - 6.0 ltrs of oil out. Put the dipstick back in, undo the yellow filler cap, pour in your oil of choice to just under the amount you took out, check the dipstick and just trickle in a bit at a time until you are back to max on the dipstick, put the filler cap on, your done.

2. Filter change - you will need to get the car on to a set of ramps or jacks to get under the front (normal safety rules apply), (ideally a lifter or service pit would be better but there is enough room as long as you are on a nice flat area), again a container to catch the oil, undo and remove the under tray, undo the oil drain plug and let the oil drain (undo the filler cap as well to help the flow) once it's drained, replace the plug (a replacement filter should come with a washer to fit when you put the plug back on) unscrew the oil filter (you will need a filter removal wrench or tool) put the new filter on and fill up again as above.

Stand back and admire your skills.

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 14:44 #6 

phenonix
Thanks Ceb, lots of info there

I might go the extractor way,
only issue i have is...

can i get the filter off without raising the car?
as i have no ramps and no pit
i can see the filter under the car, is it easy to get off by just reaching in?

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 20:14 #7 

phenonix
Just reread this and noticed "no filter change method"
So I can do an oil change and not change the filter, how can I tell if the filter needs changing?
I do about 200kms a week and last filter change was in January this year

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 21:46 #8 

ceb
Hi,

1. Filter off without raising car - Mmmm probably no. The 75/ZT generally sits quite low anyway and to get in, remove the undertray and get proper access to the oil filter would be pushing it I think. Have you thought about somewhere like ebay for some ramps, certainly here a used set of good heavy duty ramps can be had for 20/30 pounds? Certainly DON'T try getting under the car using the wheel change jack though!

2. Filter change - 200Kms a week works out (I think!) to about 5/6 k Miles per year which is well within the life cycle of a modern oil filter I believe, do you know when the filter/oil was last changed?
It' just the natural way of things I think that you change the filter when you change the oil as it removes any rubbish in the filter at the same time as you put in new oil but weather you NEED to I suspect not. In the grand scheme of things an oil change say twice a year is still a lot better then an oil change and filter change every couple of years etc. Worst case change the oil now and then do the oil filter at the next oil change maybe? assuming that the filter hasn't been changed for five years!

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 09:52 #9 

phenonix
I've had the car serviced twice a year as long as I had the car, 4 years now, what I am thinking is change the oil myself using an extractor at the 6 month interval then every 12 months leave it in my garage for filter and oil change and also checkup on any other issues.
A rover oil filter over here costs $25.00, eBay UK only $5.00!!
It's the labour here that's a killer, I have been quoted $240.00 minimum to do just an oil change!

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 10:41 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
All that is required to do an oil and filter change on the petrol models is one of these. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469 and a pair of axle stands http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165727 and a receptacle to catch spent oil. Plus oil, filter and drain plug washer. :)
240 dollars for what is about half an hours work in a garage is IMNSHO daylight robbery.
It should take you no more than an hour to complete the task at home, less once you have done it first time.
I'm sure you can find plenty of things to do with the money saved. :)

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 11:26 #11 

phenonix
Do those come in different sizes?
Ie what size should I be looking for over here if I use the Rover filter?

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 11:37 #12 

MN190
ceb wrote:Hi,

1. Filter off without raising car - Mmmm probably no. The 75/ZT generally sits quite low anyway and to get in, remove the undertray and get proper access to the oil filter would be pushing it I think. Have you thought about somewhere like ebay for some ramps, certainly here a used set of good heavy duty ramps can be had for 20/30 pounds? Certainly DON'T try getting under the car using the wheel change jack though!

You can but it is a tight squeeze and needs patience especially when putting the undertray back on
Would be much easier with a ramp or axle stands but not an option for me with the slope on my driveway.

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 12:48 #13 

ceb
MN190 wrote:

You can but it is a tight squeeze and needs patience especially when putting the undertray back on
Would be much easier with a ramp or axle stands but not an option for me with the slope on my driveway.

Or if like me, someone snuck up on you and gave you a beer belly while you weren't looking ;) :cheers:

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 17:13 #14 

MN190
ceb wrote:
MN190 wrote:

Or if like me, someone snuck up on you and gave you a beer belly while you weren't looking ;) :cheers:

I know the feeling buts its still not problem as long as you don't have short arms as well.

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 18:31 #15 

Mintman
One guy in the German forum r75.info had got a big problem with the vacuum extractor .
After job finished he wanted to extract the pump hose feeling some resistance he nevertheless pulled and had lost inside the oil basin a 10cm piece of plastic tube of the extractor. Resolving the problem was : towing to the next workshop and dissassemble/reassemble the oilpan to remove the lost extractor piece.

This will surely not happen very often but it sometimes occurs :mad1: :mrgreen:

Posted 14 Oct 2010, 12:03 #16 

ceb
Yep, I've heard about that as well, as you say anythings possible, although I would say that the only pump of this type I would trust is the PELA, some of the other makes especially on ebay from the far east are just not the same and especially the probes which come in several parts which is tempting fate I think!

Posted 14 Oct 2010, 16:26 #17 

phenonix
Thats for the advice regarding the extractor something to investigate further

Posted 14 Oct 2010, 20:13 #18 

Mintman
It was the PELA!!! :lol: :hissyfit:

Posted 15 Oct 2010, 07:36 #19 

ceb
Mintman wrote:It was the PELA!!! :lol: :hissyfit:

Mmmmm. Well that would take some doing then as I have a PELA and the only way I could see that you could cause that would be to force the feeder in to the dipstik holder, still without being there at the time you never know what was going on :confused:
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few members here and elsewhere have used them without a problem?

ceb

Posted 15 Oct 2010, 15:57 #20