Oh how I hate insurance time, advice please by takestock

takestock
So, as some of you know following a change of job and loss of company car, wifey needs a car for work to keep er out of my 75.

bought a super condition seat leon diesel. low emmisions, 55+mpg and with the golf engine will run for ever.

Trying to insure it is a mare, as the wife has no no claims bonus being a named driver on my policy. Now, i have just run through the compare sites with me as the owner and her as a named driver and the quotes are more realistic. dropping from £750 fully comp with business use for her only, to £550 fo both of us fully comp and both of us insured for business use. This is with me declaring no no claims bonus as that is used and protected on the 75.

The question is can i accrue a second no claims bonus on this policy on this car and if by chance there is a claim on either policy does it affect the other?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 17:50 #1 

JohnDotCom
Unless the Policies are linked or by the same Insurance Company you can normally earn NCB on each.
I have 10+ Years NCD on each of two policies,
but Dodo has managed to earn herself 5 years as being named on my policy without any claims.

Speak to a broker as they can often get you a good deal Dave.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 18:02 #2 

PaulT
Some insurance companies will give credit whilst driving a company car - you need either to do a search on the Internet or via a broker.

Insuring a car when the prinicpal user is someone else invalidates the insurance and is illegal - same situation as parents insuring a car for their children
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 18:10 #3 

takestock
PaulT wrote:Insuring a car when the prinicpal user is someone else invalidates the insurance and is illegal - same situation as parents insuring a car for their children

Understood Paul but defining principal driver is almost impossible, we will both use the car when needed, she may commute to work clocking up 50 miles in a week then I may drive 100 miles in the weekend, then again I may not, then again she may take the 75 to work that week.

Basically last car in drive is first one out and the driver is whoever needs to use it.

John, will speak to insurance co tommorrow, just had a call from an on line broker that gave an internet quote, they left a message about some " further discounts they have discovered" ......Ahhh bless the thieving beggars
:hissyfit:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 18:45 #4 

raistlin
takestock wrote: they left a message about some " further discounts they have discovered" ......Ahhh bless the thieving beggars

Isn't that convenient? Just goes to validate my theory that the price you pay, within certain limits, depends on the mood of the 'helpdesk' advisor :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 19:46 #5 

PaulT
raistlin wrote:
takestock wrote: they left a message about some " further discounts they have discovered" ......Ahhh bless the thieving beggars

Isn't that convenient? Just goes to validate my theory that the price you pay, within certain limits, depends on the mood of the 'helpdesk' advisor :(

Or another lesson of do not accept what is first offered
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 20:55 #6 

MrB
Dave

I used Chris Knott Insurance this year for my Civic - they have been brilliant - I changed to the 75 to pick it up - expecting it to become my daily driver immediately - only to have all the problems I have documented on here. So I have had to keep the Civ a little longer than expected and thus had to change the insurance back again to the Civic. They have done all of these changes without being shirty and without charge. You can't say fairer than that. They got me the cheapest insurance by far - well £60.

On the Civic forum there are many who have good service and also they have not had any premium increase for mods such as tuning boxes, brake upgrades or performance air filters.

I would give them a try.

Tel 0800 917 2274 - you could always also quote Ref 882 for the Civinfo forum - not sure how much this will assist or not.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 15 Jul 2010, 21:11 #7