Not happy! by mark_bonsai

mark_bonsai
Well so much for thinking I was going to get my ICE upgrade sorted this weekend.

I recently picked up a Kenwood double din headunit for a VERY reasonable price. GPS, DVD, parking camera, iPod input and compatable with my Phatbox. Perfect, or so I thought.....

It arrived today, and I'd earlier bought one of those new £20 fascia panels off ebay. Anyway, out of the box it comes, and offer it up to the fascia panel, does it fit, does it heck as like :evil: Not a happy bunny.

Thought the idea of the din sizing was that they're standard :confused: Not this, it's way too big to go through the hole in the fascia.

I'm loath to start cutting this brand new fascia, but what choice do I have.

Any input from someone who's fitted a Kenwood double din in a 75/ZT would be much appreciated.
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 15:28 #1 

RRobson
get in touch with the seller and send it back. if its not right, and your not satisfied (which you clearly arent) then the should be more than happy to refund you. i cant recomend where to get one from, but there are plenty of people who have fitted one, sorry i cant help on that part
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:30 #2 

mark_bonsai
Thing is, this Kenwood doesn't fit a BMW fascia either :confused:

Since posting this thread, I've been having a closer look at the £20 one and I think I'll bite the bullet and get a cutting disc on the Dremel tomorrow.

More to follow.....
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:41 #3 

MrB
I just received mine today and my unit didn't fit into the hole either.

However, I had read that this might be a problem.

I know of no better solution out there, so I have cut away all of the section that slopes in and mine now slides in.

Was a pig of a job but am going to get one of the new walnut fascias off of Simon ont t'other side and that should smooth over the mess I made, hopefully.

The areas I haven't cut so smoothly aren't very noticeable with the Unit in.

Can't get my pics off my camera at the moment but I'll take a pic to show you later.

My head unit is very similar to the one Ceedy has been fitting.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:47 #4 

MrB
mark_bonsai wrote:Thing is, this Kenwood doesn't fit a BMW fascia either :confused:

Since posting this thread, I've been having a closer look at the £20 one and I think I'll bite the bullet and get a cutting disc on the Dremel tomorrow.

More to follow.....

Yeah Dremel would have been better than the junior hacksaw and stanley knife I used. :hissyfit:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:48 #5 

mark_bonsai
MrB wrote:I just received mine today and my unit didn't fit into the hole either.

However, I had read that this might be a problem.

I know of no better solution out there, so I have cut away all of the section that slopes in and mine now slides in.

Was a pig of a job but am going to get one of the new walnut fascias off of Simon ont t'other side and that should smooth over the mess I made, hopefully.

The areas I haven't cut so smoothly aren't very noticeable with the Unit in.

Can't get my pics off my camera at the moment but I'll take a pic to show you later.

My head unit is very similar to the one Ceedy has been fitting.

Chris

Cheers Chris I'd appreciate a look at your photos.

I've also just emailed the seller on ebay as the advert states it fits all double dins. Rubbish.

Wouldn't mind if I was trying to fit something unusual but it's a standard Kenwood.

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 18:55 #6 

MrB
mark_bonsai wrote:Cheers Chris I'd appreciate a look at your photos.

I've also just emailed the seller on ebay as the advert states it fits all double dins. Rubbish.

Wouldn't mind if I was trying to fit something unusual but it's a standard Kenwood.

Ok here we go

As I say I made a right pigs ear of it. If you click on the thumbnails I have uploaded these as 1024x768 so you should get a better view.

SG101179.JPG

Hopefully after filing the rough edges only the bit where I slipped along the bottom edge might be unsightly and the walnut fascia by Simon should cover that?
SG101182.JPG

Mark am sure you can do a much neater job - I rushed it and should have used a little more patience and put a little more thought into it.

Hope the pics help in any case.

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 23 Jul 2010, 19:14 #7 

mark_bonsai
Mmm, just had another look at it, and I think I may have "cried before I was hurt" :roll:

If the cage is placed on the unit and clicked into place, this assembly can be inserted from the back (you boy, stop sniggering) of the fascia after minor trimming of two very small tabs. The cage is then a very tight fit (I said stop sniggering) in the fascia and held firm.

The screen is also perfectly positioned in the aperture, and doesn't require the surround trim that came with the stereo. This is perhaps as well as I've just stood on mine :em:

Pictures to follow.

Posted 29 Jul 2010, 16:14 #8