Non Starting CDTi by DeuxGazoles (Page 1 of 4)

DeuxGazoles
Well after my recent starting troubles with my ZT-T I've come to the conclusion it's the battery :shock:

My reasoning for this conclusion is that last week I flattened the battery playing about with my new FBH (Fuel burning heater.) mod & jumped the car & it started & continued to start a few times in a row & thinking back to when it started at Woodhorn after me & Russ had been tinkering..well it had been on charge :idea: I still wasn't convinced until it ruined my day again today by not starting at all & my mate Jig just happened to call round & we jumped it off his car & it fired straight up which indicates to me that there's just enough life to crank it over but not enough to wake up the ECU (Engine Control Unit) & various sensors. So tomorrow it's going to be another plastic punishment for a new battery & hopefully that'll be that :confused:

Does this theory make sense to people or am I barking up the wrong tree or simply barking mad?????????????
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:14 #1 

JohnDotCom
The Battery is a common item that fails generally any time after four years,
it causes loads of different types of problems but often can be deduced by the fact car won't start lights flash clicking all the normal symptoms.
Cheapest fix is to get it tested free at most Car Centres, Halfords etc.

...and in answer to your question?
You may well be barking mad I am not qualified to say :D
but think you are right re the battery.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:26 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Sounds very plausible if unusual. Being able to boot it off a donor would seem to point to that.
Most often with a flat battery you get the flashy lighty syndrome, perhaps just not flat enough.
Sounds like you need a new one anyway.

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:29 #3 

DeuxGazoles
Well this is the thing it's not flat :confused: I just dont think it has the oomph to power everything up during cranking but with the teeniest sniff of Easy Start it fires up & runs my theory being that once it fires the voltage is restored & the ECU takes over

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:32 #4 

DeuxGazoles
The battery is the 7 year old original by the way ;)

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:33 #5 

Jürgen
DeuxGazoles wrote:The battery is the 7 year old original by the way ;)

Then I would let the battery retire. ;)

I replaced the battery of my 75 after five years or so. I got one from Land Rover. But it failed after less than two years. Maybe it lived on the shelf too long. :confused:

Posted 31 May 2010, 20:56 #6 

DeuxGazoles
Yeah I think I'll have to get one tomorrow as I'm sick of this not being able to rely on my car :|

Posted 31 May 2010, 21:46 #7 

JohnDotCom
Make sure its the larger heavy duty version of battery, the Diesel needs that bit more .....
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 May 2010, 22:52 #8 

Russ
(Trader)
Will keep my fingers crossed Col , but as we discussed it seems to point at some sort of power issue more than anything else, new battery would seem logical.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 31 May 2010, 23:20 #9 

takestock
BoeingMan wrote:Make sure its the larger heavy duty version of battery, the Diesel needs that bit more .....

hope that is the answer Col
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 06:54 #10 

DeuxGazoles
BoeingMan wrote:Make sure its the larger heavy duty version of battery, the Diesel needs that bit more .....

Yeah I'll order a genuine one I think using he original part number ;)

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 07:39 #11 

DeuxGazoles
Russ wrote:Will keep my fingers crossed Col , but as we discussed it seems to point at some sort of power issue more than anything else, new battery would seem logical.

Russ

Well I had all the underbonnet earth points off yesterday & gave them a quick sand, snapped the bolt in one :oops: but the wire reached the next one :thumbsup: (the 2 down the side of the batt box)
I had it on charge all morning & still nowt but as soon as we jumped it vroom :D well clatter clatter clatter it is a diesel :mrgreen:

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 07:47 #12 

DeuxGazoles
takestock wrote:hope that is the answer Col

You & me both mate :(

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 07:48 #13 

DeuxGazoles
Hmmmm no longer available...............would an 096 be a suitable replacement???????? seems similar spec :confused:

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 08:40 #14 

JohnDotCom
That would be the right Code, quite a lot of differences in quality though through the makes.
Most now come with a 3 or 4 year warranty some have a 5 year warranty but you do tend to pay the extra for that any way.
Yours has lasted very well if that old, 4 to 5 years is generally good before they give up the ghost on our cars.
John

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 09:19 #15 

DeuxGazoles
Cheers John I'll get one bought ;)

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 09:20 #16 

DeuxGazoles
Well! That was £61.21 well spent.............................NOT :mad1:

Any more clues anyone?? :confused:

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 14:34 #17 

JohnDotCom
Well that is a surprise (although you needed a new battery really) :em:

I thought the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) would have flagged something up so most strange,
common fault for non starting is the Can Sensor but not seen that adding extra voltage would make this item work. :confused:

Starter I presume is OK earth wise etc?
Do a leak-back test but if injectors are faulty would also have shown up on T4.
John

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 16:53 #18 

DeuxGazoles
Well it just makes no sense..............jumped it at home time & started straight up, cut out again on the way home but started instantly, switched off at home and nernernernernernernernerner. Gave it a sniff fired up left it ticking over & then knocked it off & it started 3 times, went for a shower came back out to come over here & nernernernernernernernernerner :cry: It turns over much quicker with it's new battery :roll:

How do you do a leakback test on a burning car?????????? :confused:

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 19:15 #19 

JohnDotCom
Just a quick query, sure to already have been ruled out,
I take it both your fuel pumps are working OK?
John

Posted 01 Jun 2010, 19:21 #20