intermitent starting,now terminal!!! by franco

franco
hi,my rover 75 cdti 2003,was fine,drove well little noisy(179,000 miles),developed a little starting problem,i changed the under bonnet fuel pump,went well,then started to not start again,maybe up to 10/15 seconds to fire up,now upto 30 seconds to turn over,changed the maf sensor,and the cam sensor,NOW dosnt even start,engine turns but wont fire up at all,i have a funeral next thursday 15th,and need my car urgently any ideas???

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 10:57 #1 

Bernard
I'm not a diesel man myself but I have read about injector leak-back. Possible I suppose.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 14:51 #2 

franco
thanks for the reply,will google that,but dont hold back any suggestions

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 17:52 #3 

al_dente
Another thing to check is the in-tank pump.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 21:27 #4 

franco
thanks for the reply, but how do you know if its that?is there a test for it.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 21:41 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The in tank pump will hum when the ignition is turned on as it primes, you need to be close to it as it is not very loud so, open rear offside door and put your head near the floor in front of the rear seat and get a friend to switch the ignition to second position. Access to the pump is by means of removing the rear seat cushion, the pump assembly is located on top of the offside of the saddle tank.
in-tank-pump-change-diesel.html
leak-back-test-diesel-injectors.html This one is not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted if in any doubt get an expert to carry out this test using the proper equipment.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 22:00 #6 

franco
thats a great reply,ill be doing that fist thing in the morning,thanks mick.

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 22:09 #7 

franco
Could be one of the low pressure pumps, they are quite a common failure. Was the fuel level around 1/4 tank? Even if both pumps are running they may be under delivering on pressure,this was somthing i copied and pasted from a thread i found on this forum,my car is run quite often very close or in the orange marker,at the moment thats where it is with the current starting problem,or to put it blunt NOT starting at all problem,could it that the car infact needs more fuel init to enable the car to start??

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 23:29 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You have to start your testing somewhere, the point being to check whether the pump works at all if not then you change it, if it is working you can then go on to determine whether it is pumping at the correct pressure. Similarly with the under bonnet pump if you have one. Certainly there have been a few instances to my knowledge where running the tank below a 1/4 full can cause fuelling issues. There was also a problem a friend of mine had with his diesel where it would only start intermittently when cold and after much cranking but, once started it could be switched on and off all day long until it was left overnight, then the next day back to square one. That turned out to be one corroded pin on the ECU (Engine Control Unit), not suggesting yours is the same but there are so many different things that can cause non starting. Please bear in mind I know little about diesels other that what is written here and on other forums by diesel owners and engineers.

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 00:24 #9 

franco
stating my testing today,with the in tank pump(ive recently fitted a new under bonnet one)can i disconnect the ecu and spray it with wd40 at all?? ive changed the maf sensor,and the cam sensor,on reading people suggest the crank sensor,alot of work to get to it,but has been blamed for non starters in the past,but thats a last resort for me,as im not a mechanic,DOES ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEONE CALLED ARCTIC ON THIS FORUM,he posted a good article on servising.

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 09:06 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Everyone knows Arctic AKA Steve. Top bloke.

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 11:16 #11 

franco
can he get in touch with me via the provblem plaese

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 11:36 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
franco wrote:can he get in touch with me via the provblem plaese

You can contact him by PM or by email.

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 11:55 #13 

franco
well if the car dosnt start by tuesday,im doomed,guess its the big breakers in the sky for the 75!,thanks to all.

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 21:40 #14