No start with fuel pressure by djsteffen

djsteffen
Hi All,

I'm a new member and my car is a Rover 75 with the 1,8K petrol engine.

Like the title says, my car won't start with fuel pressure. I know it sounds strange, but so far that's my conclusion. I hope you can help me, to sort out the problem.

As mentioned the engine is a 1,8 petrol engine and so far it wont start with fuel pressure:

- When I disconnect the fuel supply line from the rail, and thereby releasing the fuel pressure the engine runs for 2-3 sec. and starts right away. Of course only for 2-3 sec. when it runs out of fuel due to the disconnected fuel hose :)
- When i disconnect the fuel pressure regulator, also know as a damper, from the fuel rail, and block the hole with a rag the engine starts. By blocking the hole with a rag, fuel is still flowing out the hole and socking the rag.

When i attach the fuel line again, the car dont start. It's trying to and the engine is igniting the fuel, but no start at all...

The things i've checked so far:
- Spark plugs
- Fuel pressure, around 3,5 - 3,7 bar (50 Psi)
- No fuel filter separation. I have the early model fuel filter
- Full battery power
- Fuel in tank, of course :)
- Changed the fuel pressure regulator, damper, in the fuel rail.

To me it's a strange problem so I hope there is someone out there, with some knowledge :)

Looking forward to your replies.

Dennis Jensen, Denmark.

Posted 09 Dec 2015, 16:11 #1 

Duncan
I would have said the fuel pressure regulator but you say you have tried that. I also thought about a blocked fuel return but I think the petrols are returnless. If the fuel pressure is too high then you would put in so much fuel it would be too rich to start properly (like flooding an engine with a carburettor). A leaking injector could do the same, but would only affect one cylinder not all of them.

Posted 09 Dec 2015, 17:44 #2 

djsteffen
Yes, the petrol are returnless, at least mine are :)
The fuel pressure is 3,5 bar (50 PSI) which is normal, so I dont think the engines overflooding.
Yes, I also located the problem to somewhere around the injectors...else i'm stuck what it else could be ;(

But thanks for reply :)

Posted 09 Dec 2015, 18:14 #3 

Devilish
I dislike petrol engines, but it must have a cam/crank sensor, I would check that out. Sometimes they just get dirty and need a clean.
Did anything preceed the engine not starting.
Being a 1.8 I cannot help thinking 'hole in a piston, head gasket
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 08:16 #4 

Duncan
Yes Steve, I can see where you are coming from. But I don't get the bit where it starts OK, if the fuel supply line is disconnected. Something points to fuel pouring in when the pressure is normal, but ending up OK when the pressure is basically low.

Posted 13 Dec 2015, 19:56 #5 

Devilish
Duncan wrote:Yes Steve, I can see where you are coming from. But I don't get the bit where it starts OK, if the fuel supply line is disconnected. Something points to fuel pouring in when the pressure is normal, but ending up OK when the pressure is basically low.

:em: Err, forgot about the bit about it starting and running with the dampener off (weird), well I did say I dislike petrol engines goddammittt :hissyfit:
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 14 Dec 2015, 04:14 #6