MG 2.5 V6 190 Clutch by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi All
As from next sunday i should be the owner of Mg 2.5 V6 190Ps the clutch is shot i/we think as it will drive in second and pull ok but you can not change gear what sort of money am i looking at to put this right as always any help is most appreciated Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 18:49 #1 

JakeWilson
My guess is the slave has gone first if it pulls in second but wont slip. Are first and reverse difficult to get into when the car is warm?

I managed to get a Valeo clutch off of e-bay for £50, I believe a decent LUK slave is around £85 and about £115 for a master? What makes it a big job is the amount of removal work neeeded to gain access, especially as the slave is inside the box.

Have to say that I am really glad you've got it Steve, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Best,

Jake

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 23:46 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Jake.
Funny really as i only went tot view the wheels then when i saw the car my first thought as was Nathan's its to good to break but because he as work commitments and no time also other stuff going on he felt he could not commit to the time and effort needed to sort the car out, then tax it etc, so i decided to purchas the car from him now i will set about getting it sorted bit of work needed beside the clutch, wheels bearing, couple of tyres, wheels need refurbing,good claybaring,handbrake compensator so a nice bit to keep me occupied :) Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 01:00 #3 

JohnDotCom
Try phoning E Car Parts in Sandy Bedfordshire, they have a EBay shop to.
They sell, genuine discounted MG-Rover parts as well as Patent Parts for our cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH-KIT- ... 1e5c1d6a34
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 08:01 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi John
Thanks but think it may need slave and master as well found these after a quick search. both only just up the road so no postage cost. the first one seems to have a lot of neg feedback through anyone used these companys for there clutch Arctic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220710864554? ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170418163912? ... 1438.l2649
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 10:00 #5 

JohnDotCom
Careful, first listing is for the Diesel.
Not used supplier I'm afraid.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 13:11 #6 

Duncan
I bought a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) off the second one. Was supposed to be brand new Bosch, but was faulty. I seem to remember a couple of others had the same issue. They did refund my money without much chasing, but personally it made me wary. That said, it's entirely possible they were sold a duff batch.

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 17:27 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Thanks,
I managed to get the car picked up tonight by a mate whom owns a hardware come auto store on his trailer so the car is sitting on my drive at the moment will be able to have a good look at it sometinm tomorrow, what i cant understand is if you put the car into 1/2 gear then start car it will pull forward with out the use of the clutch and just wants to go you can put your foot on the brake and it does not stall take your foot off and it will pull away more or less like a automatic :confused: same if in reverse but you have to turn the car off before you can engage gear.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 30 Aug 2011, 22:26 #8 

Duncan
Your description is typical of a dragging (that is only partly disengaging) clutch. Some new fluid and a bleed might improve it temporarily, but replacements are the best bet.

Having replaced a failed clutch, I would always replace both cylinders, because the muck left in one might seriously shorten the life of the new other one. I'd also put at least a new friction plate on, even if it looks OK.

The thing is, it's a fair old job and you don't want to be doing it twice.

Posted 31 Aug 2011, 17:40 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Duncan
Thanks i was talking to Russel today about it he suggested try bleeding it first to see but have been busy doing other jobs on it today plenums Air pollen filters cleaning inside and out he is looking nice and fine at the moment next few days will tell all i hope. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Aug 2011, 22:00 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well yesterday i decided to change the oil and filter car upon ramps no under tray to move as this was missing but got one from carl, gave that a good clean, Now while doiing the oil change i noticed how much room there is to get to the gearbox and clutch i think i may have ago at this my self nice learning curve me thinks and save a bit of money maybe. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 04 Sep 2011, 23:17 #11 

mark d3
go for it Steve to me its the same symptoms i had with my cdt the slaves cream crackerd ,but when they leak they contaminate the clutch friction plate knackering that as well TBH Duncans right about the master lots of grey goo came out of my slave feed pipe
mark

Posted 05 Sep 2011, 20:34 #12 

Duncan
It's a doable job on your drive. It is much easier if you have a hoist to lift the box from above. Balancing it on a jack is NOT reccomended. I did my V6 a couple of years ago, Zeb did his more recently, so we should be able to offer advice. I would reccomend replacing anything you can to avoid doing the job twice, as although it's not that hard, it's hard enough to only want to do it once.....

Posted 06 Sep 2011, 17:28 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
Update on the clutch i have manged to find a nice little company that seems to do a quailty job at resonable price, got the car picked up today at 2.15pm and the clutch should be done at 4.30pm tomorrow car will be droped back for me, drove over to the guys place this afternon and he as a nice set up four ramps clean place 100% new clutches fitted with 2yr guarantee on the the clutch will post more up tommorrow. Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 07 Sep 2011, 14:57 #14 

Last edited by Arctic on 26 Jul 2012, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Arctic wrote:Update on the clutch i have manged to find a nice little company that seems to do a quailty job at resonable price, got the car picked up today at 2.15pm and the clutch should be done at 2.30pm tomorrow car will be droped back for me, drove over to the guys place this afternon and he as a nice set up four ramps clean place 100% new clutches fitted with 2yr guarantee on the the clutch will post more up tommorrow. Arctic.

Now where is the fun in all that eh? :D

Posted 07 Sep 2011, 16:01 #15 

Arctic
(Trader)
MGZT came back today clutch all fixed what a dream to drive glad i went to look at those wheels now fast efficent service car picked up and droped of for me 2yr 18000 miles warranty on parts and labour the best about this is when went to pay the chap today he was working on another car people carrier i think fiting a gear box i said do you recon the gear boxes ? No his reply i buy them in from a firm called Intergear.

I had a big smile on my face as this is my brothers company whom does gearboxes for cars and commercial vehicles & also clutches, i could have had my clutch done for next to nowt but after a family fall out 5 years ago we have not spoken missed him by 30mins, so i know the clutch is going to be good well gives me faith at least Arctic

Clutch from FFC Fast Fit clutch as below hope i am not breaking any rules by posting their place and quailty service.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Sep 2011, 21:07 #16