Manufacturers taking people for a ride by PaulT

PaulT
Just fitted rear parking sensors to a Dacia Duster for a friend - now understand why the vehicle is so cheap!

On the Dacia shop site the kit is £164.90. I bought a kit off of eBay and looks very similar to the photo on the Dacia site apart from the ones I bought are a very good match for the body colour and the Dacia ones come in black. eBay kit £14.95 and work well.

I found on the Internet a copy of the Dacia fitting instructions. I will never moan again about Rover picture fitting instructions.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 10:07 #1 

Duncan
Often, accessories like this are specified by the importer (dacia UK in this case I would guess) and may be nothing to do with the manufacturer. I've seen this with a number of brands where the manufacturer doesn't offer something so the dealerships or importers offer something and people think its the same standard as factory stuff.

That said, it may be manufacturer approved in this case.

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 10:51 #2 

Jumper
Just thinking out loud, might that be an explanation for the curiously identical parts (other than packaging) across brands?

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 18:28 #3 

Duncan
Jumper wrote:Just thinking out loud, might that be an explanation for the curiously identical parts (other than packaging) across brands?

Yes and no. There are only a small number (relatively) of manufacturers of automotive components. So for example, Bosch make some things for lots of car manufacturers. You would expect that they try to make all of those parts similar to keep costs down. Car manufacturers, don't design every component themselves from the ground up, it would cost too much.

Posted 07 Jun 2014, 18:34 #4