Jatco Auto Reverse lost by Chuckles

Chuckles
R75 1999 2.0 Petrol Connie 80k miles.
I wonder if anyone can help here ...

The Symptoms' are; All forward gears OK, no issues. Reverse non operative.
Select reverse and there is a slight "jolt" indicating the selection appears to work. On one occasion during the icy weather it did work but after a short run went back to previous non-op conditions; and on another occasion after a 5 mile run the reverse did select but it didn't last.

On the flat there is a very slight movement in reverse but that's it! it stops after a few feet. No change despite increasing engine revs.

I have replaced the reverse gear set that included the piston cylinder, and all clutch plates etc, although previously used for a very short period, was reported to be of the revised Cylinder type and working. It did have some dirt from the previous use but a session with the parts washer cleaned that up.

There is of course no guarantee that the replacement was working 100% but as the symptoms with the replacement are the exact same as the original, it would appear that there may be an underlying cause.

As I write this my colleague is making up a tool for the press to be able to release the circlip on the clutch plates of the original cylinder, for curiosity if nothing else.

It would appear that selection works, but insufficient thrust on the clutch plates.

Can anyone shed some light where to check next please. Thank you for reading this.

Posted 27 Jan 2020, 16:06 #1