Cannot select reverse gear by Bernard

Bernard
My pal with the troublesome 190 cannot now select reverse gear. The problem started with just a slight graunching of the gears some time ago. He did manage to get out of a car park yesterday by selecting reverse before starting but now he cannot get it into reverse at all.
The clutch has been replaced completely recently but this did not improve the reverse selection problem.

I know the early gear shift had a problem with the cables, if I remember correctly, but his is a very late model.

Is there a similar problem with the later cars?

I don't recall any reports of this but then I wouldn't be taking much notice as I have an auto.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 18 May 2011, 19:28 #1 

Duncan
Can't see cables would cause that symptom, either no gears at all, or the wrong ones. If the cables were not putting the selector in the right place it wouldn't make any difference if the engine were running or not. And I wouldn't expect it to graunch, just refuse to select at all.

In fact the only cable problems I've heard of are cased when the teardrop bush fails and rips them.

Sounds like the clutch is dragging and if it's not the clutch I'm not sure what it could be.

Posted 18 May 2011, 19:53 #2 

Zeb
Selector forks worn?

Posted 18 May 2011, 20:01 #3 

Duncan
Not sure how worn forks would cause the symptom either.

Syncromesh hubs / rings could be worn, but on all gears?

It could be a bearing on one of the shafts causing problems. Another member had problems and was told it was his clutch, but as it was jumping out of gear, it didn't sound right. A replacement box was the cure. Still doesn't sound like the same problem though.

Could the replacement clutch have a problem? Not unheard of, I believe.

EDIT:
is it only reverse now? Are the rest fine? If so the previous dodgy clutch could have boogered the synchro on reverse?

Posted 18 May 2011, 20:12 #4 

Last edited by Duncan on 18 May 2011, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
I'd be looking at a replacement gearbox....

Posted 18 May 2011, 20:14 #5 

Bernard
Duncan wrote:Not sure how worn forks would cause the symptom either.

Syncromesh hubs / rings could be worn, but on all gears?

It could be a bearing on one of the shafts causing problems. Another member had problems and was told it was his clutch, but as it was jumping out of gear, it didn't sound right. A replacement box was the cure. Still doesn't sound like the same problem though.

Could the replacement clutch have a problem? Not unheard of, I believe.

EDIT:
is it only reverse now? Are the rest fine? If so the previous dodgy clutch could have boogered the synchro on reverse?

It's only reverse giving a problem. It was 'difficult' before all the clutch parts were replaced, master, slave, plate and DM flywheel. Now, some time down the road, it's just not possible to select reverse.

I've not heard of a synchro on reverse failing. Would that make it impossible to select without the engine running?

Posted 18 May 2011, 20:46 #6 

Andrew
Have you checked the gear change cabling mine went, just before it was difficult to select various gears then only 3rd, drove home all the way in third only difficult bit was getting it on the lift at the garage, in third!

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 14:19 #7 

Bernard
Cables were fine and it did indeed get a replacement gearbox in it a couple of days ago. That must make around £6000 that has been spent on this car in the last 2 years,
Just got to find why the Hi-line isn't working now. Looks likely that water has got into the units in the spare wheel well.

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 14:28 #8 

Zeb
Ouch! Hope all is well now!

Posted 02 Jun 2011, 14:48 #9