It must know... by Mad-Monkey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
It's being sold next week as yesterday it decided to play up and the power steering hoses have fractured. Started making whining noises whilst out and I thought it was a bearing but we got to the end of our road and the steering started to give up, trying to pull on the drive was tough and now its completely stiff.

Its being taken to be repaired Tuesday by recovery truck so depending when Mercedes can fix it I might not get it back!

The last 3 years of ownership has required;

New brake calipers
New hoses and fittings on the coolant system.
New SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) loom
Injector safety recall.
New engine harness
New autobox seals
Further coolant hoses
Now power steering hoses and possibly a pump.

Then seperately the usual servicing and ecu updates.

From a brand new car that kind of sucks and ive still bought a new one lol. Luckily all under warranty. As cars go new ones are no better than old ones.

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 10:23 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The same can said for most manufacturers of "reliable" cars. You have to be lucky to get a good one.

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 10:40 #2 

Trebor
Surely they cant all be the same, heres to lots of trouble free motoring in your next one David, in which case you will have to wash it yourself though !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 11:17 #3 

raistlin
Mad-Monkey wrote: As cars go new ones are no better than old ones.

In fact, there's a lot to be said for a well sorted older motor where you know it inside out. I know they may well go wrong with age related wear but at least there are unlikely to be any unpredictable surprises. That, of course, skirts round the interminable argument about build quality :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 11:20 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Trebor wrote:Surely they cant all be the same, heres to lots of trouble free motoring in your next one David, in which case you will have to wash it yourself though !

Woah!! :) wash it? Surely not lol

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 12:17 #5 

Mad-Monkey
I had more go wrong on a new car in 3 years than I did on 2nd hand car for 6 years. As Simon is pretty quiet I guess its still going strong :)

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 12:19 #6 

carlpenn
I often wonder about Modern Car build quality, we recently had a Ford come to us and it was on its 4th Gearbox in under 10k - The previous owner couldn't wait for it to go (Motability Car)as it was constantly in the Garage.

Renault and Citroen tend to be plagued with Electrical problems quite early in their life too, I drove a Renault Scenic that was only 3 years old and the Dash Display was inoperative..

Long gone are the Days of old, where a Car was built to withstand an Earthquake and Electrical Wiring was a simple task..
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 12:26 #7 

raistlin
carlpenn wrote: Electrical Wiring was a simple task..

I know exactly what you mean Carl but it does annoy me when garages and manufacturers use the excuse of "complexity" to explain away shoddy manufacturing.

You really can't get more complex wiring than that found in even the most simple of aircraft these days, let alone some of the beasts I've worked on, but reliability problems are very few and far between. If you say that is because an aircraft is in a dangerous environment and so screwed together better, I'd counter by saying that it probably takes as long to do a good job as it does to do a shoddy job :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 13:45 #8 

carlpenn
raistlin wrote:
carlpenn wrote: Electrical Wiring was a simple task..

I know exactly what you mean Carl but it does annoy me when garages and manufacturers use the excuse of "complexity" to explain away shoddy manufacturing.

You really can't get more complex wiring than that found in even the most simple of aircraft these days, let alone some of the beasts I've worked on, but reliability problems are very few and far between. If you say that is because an aircraft is in a dangerous environment and so screwed together better, I'd counter by saying that it probably takes as long to do a good job as it does to do a shoddy job :)

Very true Paul :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 25 Aug 2013, 13:49 #9 

Mad-Monkey
Merc have the car now, it was picked up first thing by the recovery team and they have phoned to tell me they found an oil leak too! So add that to the list :)

That aside, they said if all the parts are in I can have the car back tomorrow. Full inspection this afternoon and then repaired tomorrow. So speedy efficient service as always from them. That I can't fault! Just hope they send the car back otherwise it will be Saturday before I can collect it, then I'll be taking it back Sunday!

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 11:30 #10