Indicator lights in the mirror "How to" by takestock

takestock
How to install LEDs into the mirror glass. Please note, at present installing these will cause you to lose the last 35mm or so of the heater element but the heat does conduct across the whole mirror from the heated section :) I am looking at trying to strip back the covering on the heater element, making it mostly transparent to be able to leave it intact. This mod is totally undetectable from the front once completed.

Take a standard mirror glass

And the LED (Light Emitting Diode)'s from ebay

You will note the LED's are slightly too big so they need to be carefully trimmed, taking care not to damage the electrical tracks, a nail file is ideal.

Trim, and mark around the LED's, Note the clips to hold the mirror to the motors are not to be cut off!!

There are two ways to proceed. i shall deal with them one at a time.

Procedure 1

Stick the whole mirror assy in a pan and boil for 5 mins. remove the mirror assy from the pan and carefully with a flat blade remove the mirror from the plastic housing

Clean the back of the mirror ( i used white spirit) You may need to reboil the plastic casing again to remove the heater element

You can then either cut the end of the heater element and cut the leds into the plastic back on its own

Or you can leave it in situ and cut both together.

Replace the mirror glass with a thin film of good quality silicone. Turn the mirror assy over and seal with black silicone.

Procedure 2

All done from the back, less invasive but fiddly

Trim and mark the LED as before and using a hot stanley knife continually score the black plastic whilst re heating the stanley blade

Once you have reached the heater element gently heat the section to be removed with a blowlamp or gas iron, remove, cut around the edge of the heater element and remove. this will leave you looking at the back of the mirror. clean with white spirit

Fit the LED's

Cover in black silicone as previously shown.

Wiring is taken from the front wing indicator. I have installed the wiring alongside the original through the mirror

I managed to get the wires inside the original convoluted tubing between the door and the car body and on to the wing indicator.

Hope this helps anyone who fancies a go :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 21:46 #1 

Last edited by takestock on 03 Dec 2011, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
Nice one Dave, I bet a few with nimble fingers will want this. :)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Dec 2011, 09:53 #2 

Ragman
JohnDotCom wrote:Nice one Dave, I bet a few with nimble fingers will want this. :)

That rules me out then :hissyfit:

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 00:40 #3 

raistlin
I think, perhaps, a few WITHOUT nimble fingers will want these :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 20:51 #4 

nick nick
Excellent How to Dave As soon as my 1p LEDs arrive i will get stuck in
LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES....BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE PRICKS

Posted 03 Nov 2012, 14:31 #5