I thought they were 'avin' a larf... by raistlin

raistlin
... but they weren't.

I bought some stuff from an online electronics / electrical supplier recently and when the order arrived it became immediately apparent that one of the items, a reel of cable, was not what I wanted. Let me say here and now that it was my mis-ordering that had resulted in the unwanted item.

Anyway, I went through their returns procedure because I wasn't that keen on having £8 worth of unwanted cable lying around.

It cost me a fair proportion of the cable's value to return but, hey ho...

I had my refund notice today. For my refund, I OWE them £6.20. How does that work?

Item cost £8.00

In taking that back into stock, my total bill for the order that it was originally part of was reduced below the threshold for free shipping.

So the shipping charge was added, of £4.00

There was then a shipping "surcharge" of 50% as I hadn't paid it "at time of ordering"

Total so far:- £6.00

There was then a restocking fee of 30%, which is reasonable, these days. EXCEPT, that the restocking fee was 30% of the total value involved in the return, that is to say, 30% of the cost of the wire PLUS 30% of the charges.

Restocking fee:- 30% of £8 + £6 = £4.20

Total charge:- £4 + £ 6 + £4.20 = £14.20

So, I owe them £6.20 and they gain £8.00 worth of wire in an unused and resalable condition.

Read the small print :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 May 2013, 13:12 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Let them sue you for it. :D :D :D

Posted 14 May 2013, 13:24 #2 

raistlin
Mick wrote:Let them sue you for it. :D :D :D

I use them a heck of a lot Mick :(
Paul

Posted 14 May 2013, 15:11 #3 

Dave
raistlin wrote:
Mick wrote:Let them sue you for it. :D :D :D

I use them a heck of a lot Mick :(

Maybe point this element out to them and hope that they do the right thing and give you a credit note, in return for past and future custom!

Posted 14 May 2013, 17:13 #4 

humphshumphs
I would look up the distance selling regulations.... Might be worth investigating??
Richard

Posted 14 May 2013, 17:14 #5 

raistlin
It's a business account Richard - but thanks for the idea.
Paul

Posted 14 May 2013, 17:53 #6