I quite fancy a plastic pig!!! by podge

podge
Now I thought that might get your attention!! I am going to look at one of these tomorow, I always fancied one, such a stylish car,especially these early ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geralds_13 ... /lightbox/

Posted 20 Apr 2013, 19:02 #1 

Trebor
The Scimitar is a classic and Princess Anne had one, thought at first you were going for 3 wheels and was expecting you to fit wings to it !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 20 Apr 2013, 19:32 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Helluva lot of car for little money. Love the classic lines.

Posted 20 Apr 2013, 19:41 #3 

carlpenn
The Shop owner where my Step Dad got all his Car bits from had one of these in Brown. I loved it, very nice car with a unique look :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 20 Apr 2013, 20:15 #4 

Duncan
Anne's is kept at Sandringham. Consider a Rover V8 in it if you do go for one. Lovely looking cars, and made in my neck of the woods.

Posted 20 Apr 2013, 20:22 #5 

MrDoodles
I owned an SE5A in the late '80's, the 3 Litre Essex V6 ran well enough, but it leaked like a sieve! :(

So much so, that after spending hours curing all the leaks (or so I though) I treated the car to a new set of carpets, only to find about an inch of water in the drivers footwell after some overnight rain! :(

So, I'd had enough by then and let a mate have it for what it stood me at! ;)

Good luck finding a nice one! :)

Posted 21 Apr 2013, 09:44 #6 

Bernard
My wife had one in about 1976, she drove it well. Far better than I could, especially in wet weather. 3 litre engine in a car weighing very little is tricky, I even got it stuck on our level drive in icy weather. Suffered from endless electrical problems and I was glad to see it go.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Apr 2013, 11:23 #7 

MrDoodles
Bernard wrote:3 litre engine in a car weighing very little is tricky,

A common misconception, as the Scimitar had a chassis like the Forth Road Bridge and they were only 37 Kg lighter than a 3 Litre Capri of the same vintage! :)

Posted 21 Apr 2013, 14:22 #8 

Dave Goody
Bernard wrote:My wife had one in about 1976, she drove it well. Far better than I could, especially in wet weather. 3 litre engine in a car weighing very little is tricky, I even got it stuck on our level drive in icy weather. Suffered from endless electrical problems and I was glad to see it go.

Surprisingly the Scimitar actually was a heavy car. It weighed more than the Capri 3ltr which it shared engines with. It had a proper chassis and that fibreglass was not a lightweight option. I was a member of the owners club for years with my SE5a we used to have good meets [The Reliant Scimitar and Sabre owners club] Dave

Posted 22 Apr 2013, 12:21 #9 

Dave Goody
Dave Goody wrote:
Bernard wrote:My wife had one in about 1976, she drove it well. Far better than I could, especially in wet weather. 3 litre engine in a car weighing very little is tricky, I even got it stuck on our level drive in icy weather. Suffered from endless electrical problems and I was glad to see it go.

Surprisingly the Scimitar actually was a heavy car. It weighed more than the Capri 3ltr which it shared engines with. Probably due to the overdrive unit. It had a proper chassis and that fibreglass was not a lightweight option. I was a member of the owners club for years with my SE5a we used to have good meets [The Reliant Scimitar and Sabre owners club] Dave

Too late! got beaten by Mr Doodles, but I can remember that it was always classed as heavier than the Capri 3ltr? Dave

Posted 22 Apr 2013, 12:25 #10 

Last edited by Dave Goody on 23 Apr 2013, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

podge
I had a good look at one,sound as a tank underneath,very sad body and what a noisy diff! Now got the bit between the teeth! This is another "project" for me,now the MG is on the road!
NOW FOR THE SAD PART...........I WILL BE SELLING THE 75,hopefully to a very good home.I will put it on here first,we don't know what to ask yet,it is in very good condition and only 78,000 miles.It is too good to use up and down the motorway to Heathrow every day.I will post up more details later.

Posted 22 Apr 2013, 19:04 #11