Horrible noises from my car by chrislloydie

chrislloydie
Been having problems for a while with a sort of scraping metallic noise coming from front offside. Get the noise only when accelerating with steering anything from from 12o'clock to full left lock. The noise has slowly been getting worse, its now extremely audible and makes accelerating embarrassingly noisy unless I accelerate ever so gently. There is no noise when accelerating with steering to the right or once car is up to speed.

Today however, when accelerating fairly hard and steering hard left around a bend to join a motorway, as well as the horrible scraping sound there was a dreadfully loud whining noise also coming from front offside! The noise only stopped when I eased off the accelerator and began to straighten up the steering.

Any suggestions guys please? :(

Posted 19 Jun 2010, 17:01 #1 

stevemac
chrislloydie wrote:Been having problems for a while with a sort of scraping metallic noise coming from front offside. Get the noise only when accelerating with steering anything from from 12o'clock to full left lock. The noise has slowly been getting worse, its now extremely audible and makes accelerating embarrassingly noisy unless I accelerate ever so gently. There is no noise when accelerating with steering to the right or once car is up to speed.

Today however, when accelerating fairly hard and steering hard left around a bend to join a motorway, as well as the horrible scraping sound there was a dreadfully loud whining noise also coming from front offside! The noise only stopped when I eased off the accelerator and began to straighten up the steering.

I had a wheel bearing go which sounded similar. :confused: But you know me Chris, I'm a long way from being an expert :|
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 19 Jun 2010, 17:06 #2 

MrB
chrislloydie wrote:Been having problems for a while with a sort of scraping metallic noise coming from front offside. Get the noise only when accelerating with steering anything from from 12o'clock to full left lock. The noise has slowly been getting worse, its now extremely audible and makes accelerating embarrassingly noisy unless I accelerate ever so gently. There is no noise when accelerating with steering to the right or once car is up to speed.

This might sound really daft but I had a similar noise bringing my 75 home last week. I found the inner arches were not secure and were coming back and fouling the wheels. Just a thought :gmc:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 19 Jun 2010, 18:44 #3 

chrislloydie
I have checked over and over again for anything that may be loose or fouling the wheel in anyway but can't see anything untoward.

I'm wondering if it is steering pump related? Would this cause the loud whing sound?

Posted 19 Jun 2010, 18:57 #4 

slimsi
I had this when the handbrake mechanism came apart in the rear wheel, fixed easily by garage but was an odd one at first.

BTW this my first post on here and like the look of it...nice work.

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:05 #5 

James.uk
Tiny air bubles in the power steering fluid can make funny noises, try syphoning some out with a lil straw or something, and topping up again with new. :)

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:16 #6 

kevin
remind me about this when you come over for me to fit your t/master.
I will jack it up and have a look for you.

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 08:12 #7 

Duncan
As already said, possible wheel bearing. Also could be the CV joint, at the wheel end of the driveshaft. These make horrible noises when they start to fail. However I don't think the symptoms quite fit.

Another possibility is a stone trapped between the disc and the backplate (or stoneshield). These make noises like you describe, as would problems with one of the pads losing it's friction surface.

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 16:47 #8