Horn, Lights and wipers operate when battery connected by viper2021

viper2021
Hi all,
I have a problem when I try to connect a battery to my 2.0 Rover 75 CDT.
previously the car started easily and ran nice and quiet. after the battery ran down I recharged it and had a problem starting it (might be the small wire on the starter motor as it was badly corroded) however, I took the battery off again and gave it a long charge, but now when I connect the battery the horn continuously sounds REALLY loud, ALL of the lights are on and the wipers continuously operate even though all of these are in the off position. I have checked the plenum chambers and they are ok so the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is dry and in good condition. any ideas as to what might be causing this? any help would be gratefully received.

Posted 09 Jan 2021, 16:29 #1 

viper2021
I Have just changed the battery and all is well.....

Posted 10 Jan 2021, 11:55 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
That's what you call a self sorted solution
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jan 2021, 15:24 #3 

takestock
What an unusual fault, thanks for coming back and letting everyone know.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jan 2021, 16:50 #4 

Duncan
I have seen a similar problem though on a different car. In that case the battery was the wrong way round (as in charged the wrong way round so + was -). As it happened this was on that cars production line, and the manufacturer of the batteries had sent a whole pallet of batteries charged the wrong way.

It happens because things are controlled by semiconductors which allow current to flow backwards even when not activated.

Posted 15 Jan 2021, 11:02 #5