Horn Conundrum . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
Conducted my final pre MOT checks on the 75 yesterday and discovered that the horn was not working. Thought I'd start by checking the fuse - the handbook and the Haynes manual both identified the fuse as 15amp and after referring to the Haynes manual diagram for the exact position of the fuse I thought I'd check it out. Problem. The fuse box under the passenger side of the dash is nothing like the fusebox in the Haynes manual! So, I had to pull every 15amp fuse to check them all, knowing that one of them should be for the horn. They were all ok.

So, onto the horn itself. Off with the grille and horn cover and out with the horn. Jumped it across a spare battery and it nearly blew my eardrums out - problem not there then.

That left the wiring and steering wheel mounted buttons to explore. Now, up until this point the car had been parked in the road so I thought, before I go any further, I'd better park it in the drive. As I was parking I tried the horn one last time . . . and, yes, you guessed it - it worked :confused:

After a little trial and error I established that the horn works fine UNLESS the steering wheel is within about a quarter of a turn from full lock in either direction, which obviously it had been when the car was parked in the road!!!

Is this just a quirk with my particular car or is that the case with all of them?

Posted 27 Feb 2012, 13:10 #1 

Duncan
It should work in all positions. It sounds like your clock spring under the wheel might be faulty.

Posted 27 Feb 2012, 13:13 #2